Ampeg Love

doomy3

• Members

I just picked up my 69 Ampeg Rocket 2 with Tremelo from the amp tech, and after a retube, and total overhaul of it, and a new Eminence Governor in it, I love the way it sounds. Takes pedals great too. Pretty underrated amp IMO.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's no '69 - more like a '66. Have you ever checked the pots or trannies for their codes..?

no, I've never checked. Guy I bought it from said it was a 69, so I just took his word for it. Guess I could check that out.:confused:

• Members

The trannies are the easiest to check - gimme the numbers off them and I can date it for you...

How about the serial number for the amp? It is:

Model is GS-12 Rocket 2

I am pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff, so I don't even know where to look for the other numbers.

Can you date it with the serial?

• Members

How about the serial number for the amp? It is:

Model is GS-12 Rocket 2

I am pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff, so I don't even know where to look for the other numbers.

Can you date it with the serial?

According to the Ampeg book, yours is actually a late '65 model based on the serial number...

For future reference - there are numbers stamped onto the outside shell of your amps output transformer (the big black rectangular thing next to the tubes), these are called EIA codes. You can find them on speakers, pots, etc. The first couple of numbers tell you the company, then the week and year of manufacture. It's worthwhile learning how to read them, it could keep you from getting hosed on your next amp purchase. I think you wound up on the good end of the deal this time!

;)

• Members

According to the Ampeg book, yours is actually a late '65 model based on the serial number...

For future reference - there are numbers stamped onto the outside shell of your amps output transformer (the big black rectangular thing next to the tubes), these are called EIA codes. You can find them on speakers, pots, etc. The first couple of numbers tell you the company, then the week and year of manufacture. It's worthwhile learning how to read them, it could keep you from getting hosed on your next amp purchase. I think you wound up on the good end of the deal this time!

;)

Thanks a lot for your help man!:thu:

• Members

;)

BTW, any idea about how much this is worth?

• Members

BTW, any idea about how much this is worth?

I can't tell the overall condition of your amp from the pics and it has a replacement speaker, but I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of $325-$400. The Rocket 2 is less desireable because it lacks reverb, if it was a Reverberocket 2 I'd say it could go as high as $600.

It's kind of funny - your amp was probably made within a few months of mine (mine's an early '65 Reverberocket). They did the cabinet changeover from top/rear controls to front sometime in mid-'65...

• Members

I can't tell the overall condition of your amp from the pics and it has a replacement speaker, but I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of $325-$400. The Rocket 2 is less desireable because it lacks reverb, if it was a Reverberocket 2 I'd say it could go as high as $600.

It's kind of funny - your amp was probably made within a few months of mine (mine's an early '65 Reverberocket). They did the cabinet changeover from top/rear controls to front sometime in mid-'65...

That is weird. I hadn't noticed that yours was a 65 as well, but it does look a lot different. Yours is in great shape! Definitely doesn't look like a 40 year old amp. I really love the trem on these, and the clean sound is stellar:love:

• Members

That is weird. I hadn't noticed that yours was a 65 as well, but it does look a lot different. Yours is in great shape! Definitely doesn't look like a 40 year old amp. I really love the trem on these, and the clean sound is stellar:love:

You should play a Reverberocket some day - the first time I plugged in I almost crapped my pants, gorgeous cleans with lush reverb.

Ampegs kill.

:wave:

• Members

How are the new ones? I saw a new one at MF here in KC that was a 212 combo and was a reverbrocket> Do those sound as good as the old ones?

They're entirely different - EL34s, channel switching, etc. Actually closer to a Marshall than an old Ampeg.

Archived