What happens if I dont use a resistor on a superbright LED?

NITEFLY182

• Members

Im building a footswitch to control two functions and Im using two superbright LEDs. They came with limiting resistors but what if I dont use those? Will the LEDs blow or will they just be really bright? Do the pedals on the market with really bright LEDs use resistors?

• Members

Word. While I have you, Im using footswitches with two terminals. I know you go from the hot on the jack to the resistor to the LED to the switch then from the switch to the ground on the jack. Does the LED go positive to negative or negative to positive? Is there a certain terminal alignment for the footswitch?

• Members

Word. While I have you, Im using footswitches with two terminals. I know you go from the hot on the jack to the resistor to the LED to the switch then from the switch to the ground on the jack. Does the LED go positive to negative or negative to positive? Is there a certain terminal alignment for the footswitch?

i'm not quite following your question...

youre using SPST switches ?

Boss style DC jack ?

Just wanting to know how to wire each switch with a resistor indicator ?

GRINGO

• Members

i'm not quite following your question...

youre using SPST switches ?

Boss style DC jack ?

Just wanting to know how to wire each switch with a resistor indicator ?

GRINGO

I basically need to know the signal path for a footswitch for amp channel switching. I have a mono jack, a resistor and LED, and a SPST stomp switch, I should just need a piece of wire to complete a loop between those parts since the DC power to the LED is supplied by the amp.

• Members

I basically need to know the signal path for a footswitch for amp channel switching. I have a mono jack, a resistor and LED, and a SPST stomp switch, I should just need a piece of wire to complete a loop between those parts since the DC power to the LED is supplied by the amp.

one lug of the switch connects to the jack ground and LED neg.

the other lug connects to jack tip and resistor...other end of resistor connects to the LED pos.

That should get you there...IIRC,some of the Marshall footswitches are wired this way.

GRINGO

Archived