Real, nice Telecaster

MrMunky

• Members

I've always dug Strat and Tele style guitars. That said, ever since I got my very first electric guitar (a Fender mexican strat), I've been repulsed by instruments made by Fender.

I have played lots and lots of Fenders, and I've found them to vary considerably. The ones that stand out as really great instruments tend to be few and far between. I also tend to think you pay a pretty significant premium for guitars with the Fender name. So as a general matter, I've avoided them.

But I got a pretty decent deal on one of these 52 Reissue Teles with the "Thin skin" nitro lacquer. I don't care about the finish so much, but it was a good deal.

It showed up yesterday and it smokes. I'm thoroughly impressed. It doesn't have any of the odd manufacturing defects that you see in a lot of production Fenders; the neck fits firmly in the pocket and hasn't drifted anywhere; the frets are well dressed and the neck is straight; the finish is even and attractive and not sticky or cheap looking or feeling.

:thu:

• Members
Where's The Pix!?!

FTele.jpg

As for the consistency of USA Fenders, I wish that I could say my experience has been the same, but while I've preferred the features of USA Fenders, I've found few of them to really sound, feel and play good. I've been looking for a good Eric Johnson Strat for a while. I've played about 50 so far. Liked only one of them :( It was sold by the time I went back wanting to buy it.

• Members
Well, that's better... we now have a pic. BTW -
:love:
it.
But we're still waiting for price paid, clips, links and other documentation...
;)

Nice guitar.

Price paid - 1 soul

clips - http://fuzz.inrerocknroll.com (of course, no clips of this particular Tele; I'm going to spend some time toying with it this weekend and will probably have something then)

links - http://www.inrerocknroll.com

Other documentation - constit.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just because a guitar isn't setup right (because a lot of stores like GC and the like don't bother setting up guitars) doesn't mean they are bad. I have never had a problem setting up a Strat or Tele. Mexican, MIA, MIJ it doesn't matter.

The whole fret problem people have (sharp edges, frets sticking out) has a lot more to do with the humidity the guitars are kept in than the quality of guitars.

My personal experience has been that I have not been able to set up a Gibson as good as I could setup a Fender.

To each his own.

I am glad you like the Fender, i know i do.

• Members

I have a G&L Tele. It does indeed rock. Never have had much luck with Mexican Teles.

I definitely understand that you need to set up a guitar, but unless you count a refret as part of a setup, it won't fix problems such as the frets being a 1/4" shorter than the width of the fingerboard.

Archived