Pedalboard Cables?

django5

• Members

My pedels are secured to a wood board via outdoor/industrial two sided tape. They don't move when stepped on, there is no stress on the jacks.

you are totally right in this situation as far as the jacks are concerned, but most people don't bolt their pedals down... i have thought about it a lot, but i change my board around too much to go for it. im glad they work for ya though:)

like nitefly said, i have heard the adapters' sound quality is kinda sub-par. i usually make thse decisions strictly out of gut/ear testing. i like the brightness of the GLs just cuz i lose some high end going through all of those pedals. this may be artifical brightness, but it gets me somewhat closer to my favorable straight in guitar->amp sound. i'm cool with that:)

• Members

This argument about whether george L's are unreliable gets very old. They are as reliable as the work to you put into them. Sure they fail, but so do the soldered ones. Just yesterday my soldered jack broke, and yet my george L's have stayed reliable. You have to check your connections before you play, especially outdoors when things are moved around. If cables don't work, it IS your fault. The statement about george L's cable "sounding too bright" is a particularly funny one. Maybe they are too bright because they work like a cable should? If cables sounding less bright or muffled, this is because your signal is getting sapped.

Cables affect tone and some affect tone in a pleasant way while others affect tone in an unpleasant way. I found the GL cables to affect my tone in an unpleasant way. As far as reliability, I have had more success with lava cables so I stick with them. I shouldn't have to go through and check each cable to see if it works every time I play. Thats why I use cables from Mark; I never have to check them because they always work.

• Members

Cables affect tone and some affect tone in a pleasant way while others affect tone in an unpleasant way. I found the GL cables to affect my tone in an unpleasant way. As far as reliability, I have had more success with lava cables so I stick with them. I shouldn't have to go through and check each cable to see if it works every time I play. Thats why I use cables from Mark; I never have to check them because they always work.

nitefly, cables should not affect tone. If they do, then you need to re-evaluate your rig. Seriously, they should not whatsoever. My point at checking cables should really be standard practice for any cables. You know they say if it can fail then it will fail. It's true. Just a matter of time. I'm not saying you should do it everyday, but definitely if you are moving around a lot. It's a rare event when i have to check my george l's very often.

• Members

nitefly, cables should not affect tone. If they do, then you need to re-evaluate your rig. Seriously, they should not whatsoever. My point at checking cables should really be standard practice for any cables. You know they say if it can fail then it will fail. It's true. Just a matter of time. I'm not saying you should do it everyday, but definitely if you are moving around a lot. It's a rare event when i have to check my george l's very often.

I agree that cables *should not* affect tone. Technically, the only thing that should affect tone is your fingers and the guitar. There are those that think the amp should just reproduce tone and not alter it. This all brings about a debate of what tone is. Everthing in your signal path affects tone from your pick to your speakers and everywhere in between. Even the best cables on earth will still alter your sound somewhat. That said, what sound do you have without cables? That means that the way one cable alters your tone sets the standard for how you think others alter your tone. If youre used to generic horizon cables, a switch to van den hul will yield a dramatically different tone which may or may not be better to your ears. Its all about perception. I use high quality patch cables and they give me a sound that I like. Thats all that matters.

• Members

I agree that cables *should not* affect tone. Technically, the only thing that should affect tone is your fingers and the guitar. There are those that think the amp should just reproduce tone and not alter it. This all brings about a debate of what tone is. Everthing in your signal path affects tone from your pick to your speakers and everywhere in between. Even the best cables on earth will still alter your sound somewhat. That said, what sound do you have without cables? That means that the way one cable alters your tone sets the standard for how you think others alter your tone. If youre used to generic horizon cables, a switch to van den hul will yield a dramatically different tone which may or may not be better to your ears. Its all about perception. I use high quality patch cables and they give me a sound that I like. Thats all that matters.

I just had the WEIRDEST dream last night that I bought a {censored}load of Lava Cables and replaced all the cables on my board with them.

Archived