Pedalboard Cables?

django5

• Members

What do you use?

I've finally got myself a decent pedalboard and I want some good quality cables to go with it. I'm currently thinking of Monster Pro 1000 for my guitar to first effect, but I'm not sure what to use for the pedalboard itself. Any ideas?

• Members

i like the plastic ones from radioshack to be honest. i also have 1 george L which does me fine and a bunch of flat ended ones they make at a shop near for 5 bucks each. I used to use all Hosa flat end ones but over the years they've all broken and gotten lost.

• Members

I have canare, mogami, monster sp1000 and george Ls. I REALLY like the monster 1000 ( duck - here come the flames) but thats because they seem to mellow things out a bit. (thats also called affecting the tone)

Overall I would get George L's and call it a day. I would get brass connectors though, I didn't like the plated ones. They supposedly have great capacitance (jeeze did I spell that right?). Regardless, they sound great and are SUPER easy to set up. :thu:

Otherwise I would just have some canare (pick type) built and call it a day. Or build them yourself if you like doing that stuff. :)

The length is so short, its NOT as important as you might think. BUT in the right situation, you can hear it.

• Members

The George L's cable is actually very high quality stuff, the shield is very tight. I'm not a huge fan of their stuff, but it is of good quality. There is a learning curve to using their connectors, though, apparently. I'm just a fan of soldered connectors, myself. Personally I think the G&H connectors with the copper core are the best connectors I have ever seen.

My pedalboard cables are Horizon Lo-Z3 wire with Horizon right angle plugs on them, which I put together myself. The Lo-Z3 cable is actually a really high quality miniature mic cable with a braided shield, I simply used both of the conductors for the positive tip of my cables. They're super quiet, and I have more confidence in these because I know how they're made.

Horizon/Rapco actually make some really high quality cables, just don't buy their cheaper stuff they make.... i.e. the cables they sell to walmart and/or the most of the chain stores. The Horizon Studio Series and HBG series cables are really good.

• Members

i use george L because they are so small... i like to have more pedals, less clutter, but to each their own. i did have atrouble with the first few cables i made, but once you get the hang of it, they are reliable.

i do keep a few short patches in my pedalboard case just in case something shorts out, its easier to switch out a cable then recut the end, blah blah... but i have never had any issues with the george Ls at all.

that said, personal milage may vary on them, my pedals never move, so someone who doesn't use a stable board or moves {censored} around a lot, i could see them shorting out. it all depends on your requirements i suppose.

• Members

You always reccomend these.. over George Ls and Planet Waves? How come?

Because I have 0 trust for solderless cables. GL cable is needlessly bright to me and the planet waves ends have compression springs that can wear out jacks to the point that no other cable will work. Monster cables are similarly oversized which can lead to premature wear on jacks. I want a good solid cable that is assembled by a professional with a soldered connection. They cost the same price as GL cables when you break it down. They have a lifetime warranty and some of the best customer service ever. How many times have you read a post where someone said "I cant get my GL cables to work?" A lot. I have never heard someone say "My lava cables all broke and I cant figure out how to make them work. GL cables worked for me for about a week and then they began cutting out. If thats user error fine, but I shouldn't have to worry about user error with cables. Maybe an amp or a pedal, but not cables.

• Members

those adapters can put a lot of strain on your pedals' jacks... every time you step on one pedal, it causes stress on the ones on either side of it. i considered those things but i would only say they could be usable if you had all one kind of pedal in your board, that or you don't mind replacing jacks all the time

• Members

i use the cheap ass 5 packs of cables from radio Shack.

and have for 10 years now. Still running on the original cables I owned back in 'th day.
Sure, I catch {censored} from people in this forum when I post the board. But what the hell, it is only a patch cable. Does the job and leaves me more money for pedals.

• Members
those adapters can put a lot of strain on your pedals' jacks... every time you step on one pedal, it causes stress on the ones on either side of it. i considered those things but i would only say they could be usable if you had all one kind of pedal in your board, that or you don't mind replacing jacks all the time

pedalboardopen.jpg

My pedels are secured to a wood board via outdoor/industrial two sided tape. They don't move when stepped on, there is no stress on the jacks. Also notice that I have a Digitech pedel connected to a Boss pedal, that's what the off-set one is for.

• Members

Word, I used to use 10 of these or so on my board and they do put a fair amount of stress on nearby pedals. If the jack is secure it should be more stress on the pedal enclosure itself but thats only if the jacks are perfectly parallel and at the same height. Even with boss pedals, not all are the same height. Older boss pedals have jacks a bit lower than new ones so the new pedals will either tilt to one side or if you have two old pedals flanking a new one the middle pedal will actually want to hover over the board.

The other issue I found with these adaptors is that they break down into two miniscule wires inside. That means your signal is going from likely good cable to tiny little phone wire which isn't that great. Ive used parch cables since then.

• Members

This argument about whether george L's are unreliable gets very old. They are as reliable as the work to you put into them. Sure they fail, but so do the soldered ones. Just yesterday my soldered jack broke, and yet my george L's have stayed reliable. You have to check your connections before you play, especially outdoors when things are moved around. If cables don't work, it IS your fault. The statement about george L's cable "sounding too bright" is a particularly funny one. Maybe they are too bright because they work like a cable should? If cables sounding less bright or muffled, this is because your signal is getting sapped.

Archived