Is it worth retubing?

aeonrevolution

• Members

I think at least one of my preamp tubes has gone microphonic. It makes all sorts of super high pitched whines and generally annoying sounds, but when you tap it with a pencil or whatever it goes away for awhile.

I'm guessing this VT-22 has stock tubes in it because the {censored}ers look ancient :eek: Same with the speakers, they're stock.

How much of a tone improvement would I notice? I forgot where, but someone was selling a complete set of tubes for the VT-22/V-4 Ampeg series amps online for like $180 total :confused:

• Members

Putting in fresh tubes after a while can show you a pretty big difference. I bought a Peavey amp from the 80s and didn't change the tubes for like 2 years. God knows how old they were when I got the amp. When I changed them, it was like the amp took a shower after a year of running from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Fresh, new, brilliant. It can make a huge difference. If your preamp tube is microphonic, change that bitch. If your power tubes are old, switch em for some new ones.

You'll like it.

• Members

there is a mod for adjusting the preferred tubes on those amps to 6L6s

that will bring your cost down in the future, but you might have to pay a little extra this time for a tech to do the mod for you.

its totally worth it, those old ampegs are awesome.

• Members

Actually, I wouldn't just swap them all out if some are still good. My '65 Reverberocket is still on it's original set of tubes (Ampeg branded Sylvanias and Telefunkens).

If one is going, fine - change it. What you're probably due for though is a cap job (filter and coupling) - that will have as much if not more of a difference than a tube swap. Besides, you'll need to have the power tubes biased by your tech anyway if you change them...

• Members

Thank ya!

I sent him and Gravity Strings an email. I figured I would check prices a bit first.

While on the subject of repairing/upgrading this amp, do you think new speakers would be worth looking into?

Only if they suck. Can you give me the codes off of them (should be on the rim and look like ???-????)? I can tell you what brand they are and when they were made.

• Members
Only if they suck. Can you give me the codes off of them (should be on the rim and look like ???-????)? I can tell you what brand they are and when they were made.

Have faith in Erksin, his amp collection is wonderful!

Hey, Erksin, I just requested my cot50 gold from sean.....:thu: The poison spreads.:D

• Members

VT-22, right? What kind of tones are you after - do you want more crunch, or warmer cleans, etc?

I'm fairly happy with the tone. It seems like there is kind of a slight towel over the tonal palette, though, if that makes sense. The tone is never dull, but its never really that clear and bright.

Also is there any clear way to find out what year this amp is? I've done some searching, but all I can find is late 60's to early 70's.

• Members

I'm fairly happy with the tone. It seems like there is kind of a slight towel over the tonal palette, though, if that makes sense. The tone is never dull, but its never really that clear and bright.

That's probably the old caps - don't replace the speakers until you've had the cap job done. It can make a HUGE difference in your amp's response and clarity.

Archived