Animals is the best album of the 70's...

wacopacco

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Let's just get it straight that Pink Floyd is the absolute greatest band ever.

Spot on :thu:

Animals is a good listen, but I can't listen to it perpetually, DSOTM I can. I can hum every moment of it, I know every word. Just need to learn to play it. As individual songs, I don't think the tracks work very well at all, but if you consider the album as just 2 pieces of music, then its perfect. I think of the A Side as one piece, and the B side as another. I wore out a new pressing of Dark Side within six months of getting it, and it was the first album that I ever listened to properly.

:)

• Members

Sorry, Animals isn't. I love the album, but the two Pigs on the Wing are a compltee and total waste of space.

They're just intros and outros, the other 3 songs are so long there's not really any room for much else. I think they fit in quite nicely. :thu:

• Members

Hmmmm, not even close.

Lets consider what else is out there:

Miles Davis -- On the Corner or any of his 70s coolness

Funkadelic -- Maggot Brain. Eddie Hazel kills anything bluesy Gilmour ever did with a single track.

Television -- Marquee Moon

Can -- Tago Mago or Future days

David Bowie -- Low

Brian Eno -- Here Come The Warm Jets

Stooges -- Raw Power

Serge Gainsbourg -- Historie De Melody Nelson

PIL -- Metal Box

Lee Perry -- Return of the Super Ape

These are just a few off the top of my head that are better, we haven't even really got into the punk/post-punk stuff yet.

Right, agree totally...though I'd put some more on that list. But Animals IS the best Pink Floyd album. Of the 70's.

• Members

I have scads of Pink Floyd recordings, including all of their albums up to The Final Cut and a few pretty crazy bootlegs and imports from the Ummagumma and Saucerful of Secrets eras, and I have to say that Animals is my least favorite of all of them. The overt, heavy-handed politcal posturing, insipid balladry, and recurrent "woes-of-fame-and-forturne" theme of post-Meddle floyd, coupled with its bluesier sound, makes even the best of their music from that period hard to listen to (except for Dark Side, which to me is something entirely different and special).

• Members

ahhhh Animals...how I love thee.

Funny this thread came up because i haven't listened to it in a few years but decided to resurrect it a few days ago. It's in my truck and won't be leaving for a few more days.

Has anyone ever heard Les Claypool's live CD covering the entire album? :love::thu:

• Members

ahhhh Animals...how I love thee.

Funny this thread came up because i haven't listened to it in a few years but decided to resurrect it a few days ago. It's in my truck and won't be leaving for a few more days.

Has anyone ever heard Les Claypool's live CD covering the entire album?
:love::thu:

Yeah I've heard the Claypool cover. Pretty sweet, although I would have rather been there. (Duh!)

• Members
They're just intros and outros, the other 3 songs are so long there's not really any room for much else. I think they fit in quite nicely.
:thu:

Yes, they're just intros and outros, but he said the best album of the 70's, and it would've been stronger overall if it was 2 and half minutes shorter. Or just think how awesome it would've been if they had made WYWH a double album.

Archived