Animals is the best album of the 70's...

wacopacco

• Members

dare i say it? Well it is... NO pop hits whatsoever, but pure musical bliss. And damn, that guitar...

animals.jpg

Really? Ya think?

Actually, I'ld have to say it's tied with Wish You Were Here, but yeah it's hard to think of an album from that decade I dig more.

Totaly different styles, but I'ld have to say Black Sabbath Vol. 4, and The Stones Sticky Fingers and Exile on Mainstreet are right up there too.

Also, lets clarify that this only applies to rock, as there was some smoking jazz and blues put out at that time. :thu:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

while i absolutely love led zeppelin, for me, Pink FLoyd embodies everything i love about music and guitar.

i know where your coming from...

but i cant decide if they are everything i do or dont like about music...

they are serious musicians and put the music before the image etc. they treated it like real art. which is good.

on the downside they often seemed to miss the basics of music, about having a good time. i think sometimes music should be lighthearted.

but then i dount anyone could ever combine those two things... being serious art and lighthearted fun.

i guess ill have to go with floyd being the greatest band yet

• Members
yeah and?

pink floyd is its own thing. and i and a lot of other people like it.

those albums may be better for some things... but its the whole package of floyd, the music, the playing, the production. and of course this guy is better at whatever than floyd. but no one is better at floyd than floyd

Yeah and its not the best album of the 70s, I named a few I considered better. I could work up a far longer list I wanted to. :wave:

• Members

I'll take Animals and the other 2 Floyd albums mentinoned over any of those ANY day. And while i love Funkadelic, no Hazel doesn't smoke Gilmour, sorry, but no...

Just out of curiousity how many of the rest have you heard? Its all a question of degree anyway. For post-Hendrix stuff, Pete Cosey (on the Miles Davis stuff) is basically the coolest on the planet.

• Members

i know where your coming from...

but i cant decide if they are everything i do or dont like about music...

they are serious musicians and put the music before the image etc. they treated it like real art. which is good.

on the downside they often seemed to miss the basics of music, about having a good time. i think sometimes music should be lighthearted.

but then i dount anyone could ever combine those two things... being serious art and lighthearted fun.

I love those 3 albums also but IMO Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars is a better album than Animals for the reason above.

• Members
Just out of curiousity how many of the rest have you heard? Its all a question of degree anyway. For post-Hendrix stuff, Pete Cosey (on the Miles Davis stuff) is basically the coolest on the planet.

i havent heard much Miles past the 60's. I'll check them out. I love the stuff you listed but i'm just a die hard Floyd fan thats all. I'm kinda toung-in-cheek about the 'best album of the 70's'. I said that just to be a smartass really, but it is indeed my favorite. And i LOVE Eddie Hazel so dont get me wrong there. This thread wasn't meant to be a debate on what album is the best of the 70's, more like a Pink Floyd sausage lovefest :love:

• Members
Hmmmm, not even close.

Lets consider what else is out there:

Miles Davis -- On the Corner or any of his 70s coolness

Television -- Marquee Moon

Can -- Tago Mago or Future days

David Bowie -- Low

Brian Eno -- Here Come The Warm Jets

Stooges -- Raw Power

Serge Gainsbourg -- Historie De Melody Nelson

PIL -- Metal Box

These are just a few off the top of my head that are better, we haven't even really got into the punk/post-punk stuff yet.

Right on. :thu:

I respect PF for what they did on those three albums (although I generally prefer their earlier stuff), yet having listened to all there albums many many times over the years I've sort of become bored...

I :love:LOVE:love: these albums elctmist listed BTW, with a passion. And I'm glad to see someone else is a fan of Gainsbourg! The list of best albums from the 70s is very hard, impossible even, 'cuz there just so much amazing music.

• Members
So you like those 3 albums? Those 3 albums are among my all-time favorites as well. Do you know that in just 5 sentences, we've managed to use the phrase "those 3 albums" 5 times? I may go listen to those 3 albums on my way to pick up that boogie amp tonight. I wonder what they seller thinks of those 3 albums? I bet he owns those 3 albums, and I'm willing to bet those 3 albums are among his favorites as well! Let's hear it for those 3 albums!!!!!

All three of those albums are greatness and a huge influence on me. I was fortunate enough to see the Animals tour and it was the {censored}e! What a band, they were at a small convention center in Ft. Worth. Thanks for the memory boost. :thu::D

Archived