Name Two Bands Whose Tones You Absolutely Hate

V

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The guitar tone on the new Melvins album bothers me. Sounds lined in. And there's a short delay on it the whole time that sounds like it was added so mask the fact tha it sounds lined in. Doesn't help. It's annoying because they've always had such wonderful tone. But I guess on this alnum they put the time into getting the drums to sound right, with the two drummers and all. And the bass sounds good and thick, so it kinda makes up for the guitar, but i still miss that "In the freaktose the bugs are dying" goodness.

• Members

Randy Rhoads (Brilliant playing but what the hell is that can 'o bees tone? Perhaps the worst of all time)
Eddie Van Halen (Slightly less brilliant playing when the era is taken into account, but why do people want his tone? It sounds too grainy to me)
SRV's tone gets annoying sometimes, mostly when it becomes a characature of the pushed Fender sound.
I actually like some of the modern rock Mesa tones, not realy the songs, but it's fun to riff with that bottom heavy tone. I don't really use the Mesa like that too often though.

• Members

Edgy!

For real.

Listen to it on vinyl and come back to me.

The solo in nowhere man?? how could you possibly hate that tone?

It's like saying the solo in Paranoid soinds like someone stuck a Bic thru the speaker.

oh wait..

• Members

Seriously...I'm listening to Cowboys From Hell for the first time in a dog's age and Dime's tone SUCKS - it's thin, doesn't sustain, has no bottom end, not to mention all the stupid {censored}ing pinch harmonics he plays all the time. I like the riffs, man, but the tone...{censored}ing no.

• Members

I thought the right channel of that solo was a ring mod?

About the solo:

"The unusual distorted guitar solo was recorded straight and then processed during mixing "through a sound modulator of some sort," recalls Iommi, most likely one of the many assorted effects boxes Bain (producer) collected at the time".

.....just such an amazing tone.. never to be recreated again. It comes from the upper right in the mix and floats thru the entire passage like a soft edged razor blade. Works for me.

• Members
The guitar tone on the new Melvins album bothers me. Sounds lined in. And there's a short delay on it the whole time that sounds like it was added so mask the fact tha it sounds lined in. Doesn't help. It's annoying because they've always had such wonderful tone. But I guess on this alnum they put the time into getting the drums to sound right, with the two drummers and all. And the bass sounds good and thick, so it kinda makes up for the guitar, but i still miss that "In the freaktose the bugs are dying" goodness.

I like the tone. Especially on Civilized Worm and Blood Witch. But I do take your meaning, there's something extra to it that doesn't sound quite natural. Buzzo's vocals, too (but I also like what he did with them here).

And the best songs are Charmicarmicat Bastards, #2 Pencil, AMAZON, Spread Eagle, Boris, Hooch, Night Goat and Magic Pig Detective. I'm just sayin'. :wave:

• Members

Randy Rhoads-awesome guitarist. horrible tone. the worst part is when people try to argue "but it fit the part"

Misfits-just about any recording though I like the band

Darkthrone-early tone (more like the entire recording) is so bad its ridiculous

Nu-Metallica- I don't really need to explain this.

The Strokes

Sorry way more than two -_-

• Members

+1

Perhaps the recording quality of that era was lacking but these tones just don't appeal to me. Live, it'll probably be better

Abbey Road is an incredible album when it comes to guitar sounds

I don't like the guitar in Tool.

Archived