Boss CE-5 vs. Small Clone?

niceguy

• Members

I'm trying to choose a dedicated chorus pedal. I've done all the searches on the forums and learned a lot, but I'd like a direct comparison between the two.

I want a really rich, creamy chorus. I don't use the high-rate vibrato-like chorus sounds. I'd like a chorus that goes very well with clean palm muting...I don't use chorus that much while playing with distortion.

Can the boss handle this type of chorus? Or is the Small Clone the better choice for me?

thanks!

• Members

IMO EHX is one of the best builders of modulation effects and therefore I would go with the Small Clone. It can do shimmery and pretty much everything inbetween and beyond. The perfect all around chorus, and can get pretty thick sounding too. The boss is just generic.

• Members

im going for the small clone myself

i am also looking for a chorus pedal on a budget

i had the chance to compare the marshall SV1, boss SC1 and boss CE5

the CE 5 was very hollow sounding, and made a big difference to the fundamental tone when turned on. it was very very obvious i just turned on a pedal...

the SC1 (is it called this, super chorus or whatever) it was more subtle than the CE5 but again an obvious difference.

the marshall won by far, though still wasnt great. initially i didnt like it. i thought it was very detuned and weird alien sounding, but play around with it a bit and its got some good stuff, with the less noticable difference in the tone of the guitar when turned on.

i think from what ive heard the small clone is the way forwards.

though im tempted to try and the very cheap first, danelectro, behringer etc

• Members

I would say the Clone Theory as well. Although I think it does its best work on the faster vibrato like sounds as you described, its slower setting still sounds great, and is much better than the Boss chorus.

If you want to go Boss, look for a used CE-2 online, its cheap and does much better than the modern Boss offerings.

• Members
thanks---"hollow" is DEFINITELY the chorus I don't want.

so the small clone is noticeably richer and thicker than the boss? And for budget reasons, it's pretty much just the EHX or the boss...

Yes. The small clone is a lot richer to my ears.

• Members

small clone or sch-z from experience are amazing, from what i've heard, you might also want to try the nano clone or micro clone theory. they should all be at most music stores... and stay away from the ce-5. sterile, thin, digital crap. (not to say i'm against all digital pedals- i've got some on my board myself.. the ce-5 is just bad news)

• Members

ok cool, small clone it is (also need to research the voodoo). I have a digital phaser (because it gives me weird {censored} you can't get from analog), but I really want a warm chorus...sterile, cold chorus isn't an option for me.

Archived