Played my Tele last night.

• Members

Ye...was playing my tele last night and loving life: Asat - Picture Wah - Zvex LoFi - Keeley Comp - CC2 - Zim - Echotap - Katana - Univalve. - THD 2x12. I could honestly play just this setup for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy...so many amazing sounds in there. :thu: My old SG sounds fantastic too but if I had to choose one it would be the tele.

• Members

I have a MIJ tele thinline in for some serious upgrades right now. New pickguard that fits regular size buckers instead of the big ass wide range ones. New pickups, a pair of vintage vibe hb size p90's. Pots, switch, jack, wiring upgrades. Plus an overall set up/intonation. It really needs a refret too, but I'll do that later (probably put some vintage talls on it). Might even slap a bigsby on it!

Yeah, I miss it right now. I just have my Orville Gold Top Les Paul with seth lovers right now. Technically, it's a better made guitar than the thinline IMO. But I miss the thinline. It's more my taste feel wise. Even as a thinline with wide range buckers it's got a snappy twang. Can't wait to see how the p90's sound in it.

• Members

I have a MIJ tele thinline in for some serious upgrades right now. New pickguard that fits regular size buckers instead of the big ass wide range ones. New pickups, a pair of vintage vibe hb size p90's. Pots, switch, jack, wiring upgrades. Plus an overall set up/intonation. It really needs a refret too, but I'll do that later (probably put some vintage talls on it). Might even slap a bigsby on it!

that is gonna be one sweet ass guitar that you get back:wave:

• Members
that is gonna be one sweet ass guitar that you get back:wave:

Yeah I'm pretty excited. I'm also looking forward to getting bigger frets on it down the road. ;)

P90's in an ash thinline tele are a little unconventional but I see no reason why it shouldn't sound nice. Fingers crossed and {censored}.

• Members

Link? Retain the Tele spank? Thanks!

G&L Asat have their own mfd pups in them..twangy tele spank is still there. I play a lot of country on the tele and the maple / swamp ash just kills for it...blues/jazz/rock are all accessible with the tone and volume controls.

shes the honeyburst next to a 70's Fender Tele....sold the Fender cuz the Asat out tele'd it.

• Members
Yeah I'm pretty excited. I'm also looking forward to getting bigger frets on it down the road.
;)

P90's in an ash thinline tele are a little unconventional but I see no reason why it shouldn't sound nice. Fingers crossed and {censored}.

Why are you getting vintage tall as opposed to regular tall? Vintage wide wear out really quickly and, aside from feel, the intonation is so fractionally worse on regular than vintage wide that you would have to be playing some whacky extended jazz chords and have perfect pitch to even hear the difference. You like the feel I guess.

Also, I have an ash guitar that I am thinking of P90s for....looking forward to your feedback.

• Members

Why are you getting vintage tall as opposed to regular tall? Vintage wide wear out really quickly and, aside from feel, the intonation is so fractionally worse on regular than vintage wide that you would have to be playing some whacky extended jazz chords and have perfect pitch to even hear the difference. You like the feel I guess.

Also, I have an ash guitar that I am thinking of P90s for....looking forward to your feedback.

Good points. G&L uses medium jumbo on their 7.25 radius ASAT necks, right? Maybe I'll go for good old medium jumbo then. Maybe stainless steel! I will of course discuss this in detail with the tech and try out samples of different kinds.

• Members

Cool! How much for those pickups?

I don't know..they came in my guitar. You should really try some before you buy.. I totally love them and prefer them over pretty much every pup in every tele I have tried but alas, I am but one man whose opinions are my own. Some people say that they are too sterile sounding (I certainly don't and I play them into a Univalve which is a very clear unforgiving amp) and some people say that they are a poor mans Bardens. Go to your local G&L dealer and give em a try.

I like them cuz they are loud, little noise, and very versatile.

Archived