ebay advice please..

Ben Glass

• Members

I got a Peavey Classic 20 a couple of days ago,

sounds great, looks great, very happy...

but the pots are a bit scratchy,

and it occasionally m akes a big popping sound.

i even went and bought new expensive leads just in case, but it still makes the popping sounds,

i'm sure getting it checked out wouldnt cost too much,

do you think i should mail the guy and ask for some refund or something?

• Members

Have you tried spraying the pots with cleaner or are they just too bad to deal with?

Scratchy pots are sometimes an easy fix (spraying with cleaner) and sometimes an indication that the pots are just going to get worse until they need to be replaced. Often, spraying with cleaner will just mask the problem temporarily.

If the pots were scratchy, that should have been mentioned in the auction.

Email the guy. Better yet, get a tech's estimate for how much it would cost to replace the pots, then email the guy.

• Members

Yeah try cleaner and different valves, though the ebay ad should have noted any flaws such as scratchy pots. I just went through that with my Peavet Ultra( the popping sound) and luckily it was the valves I purchased and not the amp. But it could be alot of things from bad caps to bad transformer.

• Members

I personally wouldn't touch anything internally before getting an estimate and/or contacting the seller. Then you would be responsible for any adverse affects on the amp.

I would talk to a tech and get a rough estimate for the repair cost. Email the seller, let him know the estimate, and see if he is willing to do a partial refund of that amount.

• Members

Hey,

Scratchy pots just use some elctronics cleaner, or you may need to replac the pots if no improvement...

The loud popping noise is 90% the preamp tubes being faulty. I have had a few amps that had similar problems and replaceing the preamp tubes on all these amps worked for me. But again, this cannot be for sure. However, I think the CLassic20 only has 2 preamp tubes, so it is a fairly inexpensive thing to try.

• Members

p.s... If you retube use JJ ECC83S valves in the preamp. They sound killer in the peavey classics. I have the classic 30 and retubed with Electroharmonix, groovetubes, EI, sovteks and svetlanas. The amp sounded just honky and nasty with brittle top end with the stock (EHX i think) valves. The only ones that were acceptable were the EI tubes set with the EL-86 power tubes, and the JJ tubes, which I think are better.

Archived