Fuzz pedal for Stoner rock

Looseygoosey

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

for anti-flag193:

How do you like the Laney for this kind of music?

It's great. I run it through it's matching cab which sounds good but it sounds amazing through Greenbacks and sounds awesome as well through my g-flex 2x12. I run it on the normal channel fairly clean with a little bit of dirt, and boost it with a Fulltone OCD. I just wish I could run a fuzz through it without it sounding sputtery and gatey. I was thinking of switching to el34's or e34l's in the future to see if it takes fuzz any better.

• Members

It's great. I run it through it's matching cab which sounds good but it sounds amazing through Greenbacks and sounds awesome as well through my g-flex 2x12. I run it on the normal channel fairly clean with a little bit of dirt, and boost it with a Fulltone OCD. I just wish I could run a fuzz through it without it sounding sputtery and gatey. I was thinking of switching to el34's or e34l's in the future to see if it takes fuzz any better.

okay. cool. i like it a lot too. i run it through my Marshall 1960a cab. which sounds wonderfull. i have used the fuzzyness from the Mudhoney pedal on the amp, and that sounds great. better than other amps i've tried with it.

nice amp.

but would you remember this tompic, and write back, when you put the new tubes in it?

• Members

okay. cool. i like it a lot too. i run it through my Marshall 1960a cab. which sounds wonderfull. i have used the fuzzyness from the Mudhoney pedal on the amp, and that sounds great. better than other amps i've tried with it.

nice amp.

but would you remember this tompic, and write back, when you put the new tubes in it?

Sure will.

• Members

Get a Little Big Muff or another cheap fuzz now perhaps. Then save up for something really tasty. Something that will cut through the mix and still have that huge fuzzed out dissonance, only with added clarity. I'm thinking......Skreddy Mayo or Top Fuel.

• Members

Not that rules aren't made to be broken, but EL34s tend to sound best with more poweramp saturation, and can get muddy with excess fuzz or preamp distortion. I would stick with 6L6 if your going for lots of fuzz/preamp drive.

However, if you want a really throaty-punchy crunch sound forget about using lots of fuzz, slap a set of EL34 tubes in there and put your master up around 2:30-max (max for sure if your on the clean channel) with the gain then added in till you get the sound you really like, then back the gain down a smidge.

A good rule of thumb is that if it sounds just a hair stiff and less forgiving to you than what you like, it will probably mix well with the bass to give you a huge sound. :idea:

• Members
Not that rules aren't made to be broken, but EL34s tend to sound best with more poweramp saturation, and can get muddy with excess fuzz or preamp distortion. I would stick with 6L6 if your going for lots of fuzz/preamp drive.

However, if you want a really throaty-punchy crunch sound forget about using lots of fuzz, slap a set of EL34 tubes in there and put your master up around 2:30-max (max for sure if your on the clean channel) with the gain then added in till you get the sound you really like, then back the gain down a smidge.

A good rule of thumb is that if it sounds just a hair stiff and less forgiving to you than what you like, it will probably mix well with the bass to give you a huge sound.
:idea:

Yeah. I have a jcm 800 2203 with el34's that is awesome and sounds huge with fuzz. The Laney is somewhere in the ballpark with the 2203 but just sounds bad with fuzz. I use both amps live and it sucks because I like to use some fuzz and it sounds great with one amp and {censored}ty with the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived