Why can't I stop GASsing for Muff clones?

phishmarisol

• Members
My 1st Muff:

damram1.jpg

I've owned a couple fuzzish boxes before this, but this is the one that made me say "Ahhh! - I get it now!" and love fuzz.

-Ben

I want one of these, bad! Anyone want to fill us in on what it's like? I went to the reviews and there were only 2.

• Members

isn't the skreddy ? lady the same thing but cheaper?

They're both based on the Ram's Head, but they're not exactly the same. Here's another Ram's Head clone that is ugly and much cheaper than both the DAM and Skreddy pedals, but gets the job done.

Pic of my low rent StressFX Ram's Head inspired by the shot of Ben Co's DAM Ram's Head :)

stressfxram.jpg

edit: that was Ben Co's DAM, not the quoter's... that'll teach me to post before coffee.

• Members

I was emailing back and forth with the builder a while back and he said that DaMOAF wasn't a muff clone.

I don't believe him, but that's what he said.

Technically, "based on" wouldn't be the same as a "clone".... Was he saying that it wasn't even based on the Muff circuit? MOAF sounds an awful lot like Muff if you ask me. Maybe he just doesn't want to get lumped into the Muff category and have to compete against other Muffs?

• Members

I want one of these, bad! Anyone want to fill us in on what it's like? I went to the reviews and there were only 2.

I don't have a ton of fuzz experience; I've had only a BJF PPF, Skreddy Top Fuel, Screw Driver (more OD really), Zero, and the new Toadworks Mad Dog.

To me the PPF and Top Fuel were the most similar, not being at all bloaty but also being more edgy distortion than fuzz. The Top Fuel was more fuzz-ish for sure, and had a nice mid bump. The Zero was VERY aggressive, 'modern' and 'in your face'; neat but not my cup of tea. The Mad Dog was thick and very much a fuzz, but lacked enough string clarity for me.

The D*A*M Ram Head is all fuzz for sure. The tone knob's sweep brings it from muted and bloated to edgy and nasal. Very high gain as well and sustains forever, even with the 'sustain' at 9 o'clock. And it's so damn quiet... really friggin' quiet. It doesn't care that I have a couple buffered pedals before it, blends well with pedals stacked in front of it, and sounds great with the wah in front of it. Sounds great with singles or humbuckers as well. Running it off of a Godlyke Power-All power supply and it sounds great.

-Ben

• Members

We should turn this into the Muff Lounge.

I only have a LBM and a Russian BM, but I'm going to be building the BYOC Large Beaver shortly. There's so many mods online, I can't help but think that with some more experience, I'll be able to build a dream Muff!

I'd love to pick up some of the Boutique muffs, many of which have been listed in this thread. The Skreddy Mayo, the DAM Ram's Head.

I always get this sense that the current crop of EHX BMs are missing something, but I'm basing that on BMs I've heard on records.

• Members

Technically, "based on" wouldn't be the same as a "clone".... Was he saying that it wasn't even based on the Muff circuit? MOAF sounds an awful lot like Muff if you ask me. Maybe he just doesn't want to get lumped into the Muff category and have to compete against other Muffs?

Yeah, I don't know. I had the same question...When he said it wasn't based on a Big Muff, I replied and asked what it was based on (pointing out that most people compare the sound to a Muff), but he didn't reply back after that.

I'm not sure why he would be concerned with people knowing that it was Muff-derived. That's pretty much the conventional wisdom, and he still appears to be doing fine.

So all I know is that he says it isn't a Muff. If anyone has anything more enlightening, I'm all ears!

• Members

Do you still have the Zero or did you sell it?

I actually 'sold' the Zero back to Marc in April of '05...

He said when he shipped it he thought this one in particular sounded really great and if I wasn't happy with it, he'd be happy to take it back. So that's what happened! So if anyone has Zero #27, it's a good one!

-Ben

• Members
The D*A*M Ram Head is all fuzz for sure. The tone knob's sweep brings it from muted and bloated to edgy and nasal. Very high gain as well and sustains forever, even with the 'sustain' at 9 o'clock. And it's so damn quiet... really friggin' quiet. It doesn't care that I have a couple buffered pedals before it, blends well with pedals stacked in front of it, and sounds great with the wah in front of it. Sounds great with singles or humbuckers as well. Running it off of a Godlyke Power-All power supply and it sounds great.

-Ben

Quiet? I have one too...and together with a Boss CS-2 compressor or a Keeley BD-2 it feedbacks like hell (gain knob at 10.30 O'clock). Thats why I'm thinking of selling it...but it sounds great! :(

• Members

Quiet? I have one too...and together with a Boss CS-2 compressor or a Keeley BD-2 it feedbacks like hell (gain knob at 10.30 O'clock). Thats why I'm thinking of selling it...but it sounds great!
:(

The compressor I'm using has light compression and is an extremely quiet compressor to begin with (BJF Pine Green Comp), and the drives I've used in front of it are a Box of Rock (low/med gain) and a Silver Kiss set to low/medium gain. And they're also very low noisefloor pedals as well.

When I had the compressor on, the BoR's 'rock' channel engaged, AND the boost side engaged, all together, yea, it did start feeding back a bit ;)

-Ben

• Members

I asked the same question. They told me that "it has it's roots in the early 70's Big Muff Pi's (Triangle, Ram Head)". They said the same thing about it not being a clone.

Archived