ok, so I wanna build my own looper

fatcarlos3

• Members

im looking at that walkthrough for building the 2 loop box.

it seems easy enough to follow and i'd like to try it but correct me if i'm wrong:

you have to click the pedal on to actually engage the looper

but then that would mean you can only have one loop or the other if it's being engaged by the 2nd dptp switch and not both at the same time if you chose...

as that correct and if it is, how would you wire it so you could have both of them on?

in all fairness ive never actually seen a looper that had an on off switch just loop 1, 2, 3, etc.... switches

• Members
2173560012a3545323745b876052144l.jpg

this is a quick schem i drew up for 2 loops that you can select loop 1 on or off and loop 2 on or off as opposed to having one of the other like the other page.

is that right, am i missing anything or do i have anything wrong?

• Members

this is a quick schem i drew up for 2 loops that you can select loop 1 on or off and loop 2 on or off as opposed to having one of the other like the other page.

is that right, am i missing anything or do i have anything wrong?

The layout that Jaymeister posted (this one) will give you three independent loops. If you only want two, just take one out.

That layout you made ain't gonna work, dude.

• Members

k thanks man.

im looking at it now but there's still some bits im not 100% sure of..

i get that the purple wire connected centre bottom connects with the centre centre green wire and runs to the next loop.

i get that when the switch is engaged the top left purple wire goes down to the blue and to the send, the dark green of the return comes back and is connected to the green wire and sent on whilst the signal is being sent to turn on the led.

but

1) what exactly is the grey wire thats going to just about everything and what exactly is the black wire thats going in>bottom left>centre right for and what does it do?

2) also the wires that seem to be connected like the black and purple ones before the 1st switch and the green and purple ones. are they actually soldered together like that or connected at the relevant part on the grid?

again thanks for the help and i think knowing these 2 questions would set me up for building one myself

• Members

1) what exactly is the grey wire thats going to just about everything and what exactly is the black wire thats going in>bottom left>centre right for and what does it do?

That's the ground

2) also the wires that seem to be connected like the black and purple ones before the 1st switch and the green and purple ones. are they actually soldered together like that or connected at the relevant part on the grid?

That's the signal passing through from in to out...You need to connect each switch. By engaging the switch all you are doing is sending the signal through the sends and returns versus directly bypass. That's what a 3PDT switch does. They are soldered at terminal points on the switch.

• Members

That's the ground

That's the signal passing through from in to out...You need to connect each switch. By engaging the switch all you are doing is sending the signal through the sends and returns versus directly bypass. That's what a 3PDT switch does. They are soldered at terminal points on the switch.

I guess the purple wire goes to two spots on the switch cause that thing can handle stereo imputs??

• Members

Do you guys not understand how the switch works? Imagine the switch like this:

In one position (say, before you stomp) these pins are connected:
1-4, 2-5, 3-6
In the other (after you stomp)
4-7, 5-8, 6-9

The middle pins (4,5,6 in my example) are the common pins, they connect to either the pin above or below them. Now that you know this, just trace the signal lines. Everything is mono, so you are only following the positive signal path (grounds are tied together)

position 1.
Input (purple) goes to top left pin, to blue (send) back in the return (teal) to the lime green to the next loop. Also, the led is tied to ground by the jumper.
(second purple input is "floating")
position 2.
Input (purple) goes to lnext loop (lime green) and the send is grounded.
(first purple input is "floating")

• Members

Do you guys not understand how the switch works? Imagine the switch like this:

In one position (say, before you stomp) these pins are connected:

1-4, 2-5, 3-6

In the other (after you stomp)

4-7, 5-8, 6-9

The middle pins (4,5,6 in my example) are the common pins, they connect to either the pin above or below them. Now that you know this, just trace the signal lines. Everything is mono, so you are only following the positive signal path (grounds are tied together)

position 1.

Input (purple) goes to top left pin, to blue (send) back in the return (teal) to the lime green to the next loop. Also, the led is tied to ground by the jumper.

(second purple input is "floating")

position 2.

Input (purple) goes to lnext loop (lime green) and the send is grounded.

(first purple input is "floating")

i get how the switch and signal runs through them. but where the purple and black wires have little boxes and go off in seperate directions to points on the grid. do you join a point to the grid then another going elsewhere

eg do you have the purple wire going to 1 then a 2nd purple wire coming out of 1 and going to 8. or do you split the cable like a Y before the grid and have one part going to 1 and another part going to 8?

• Members

i get how the switch and signal runs through them. but where the purple and black wires have little boxes and go off in seperate directions to points on the grid. do you join a point to the grid then another going elsewhere

eg do you have the purple wire going to 1 then a 2nd purple wire coming out of 1 and going to 8. or do you split the cable like a Y before the grid and have one part going to 1 and another part going to 8?

Doesn't matter. All that layout is telling you is that the input signal needs to be connected to both lug 1 and lug 8, with nothing in between. You could do that any number of ways:

- run a wire from the jack to lug 1, then from 1 to 8

- run a wire from the jack to lug 1; then attach a separate wire to lug 8, with the other end "bisecting" the input wire at some point.

- two separate wires from the input jack, one going to 1, the other going to 8

- etc.

As long as your layout is schematically correct, you can do it however you want.

Archived