Help Me Decide by Tonight!!

fuzzface71

• Members

Some of you might have seen my threads about Fender amps.

Ok, here's the deal:

1) Should I go for a Fender tweed Deluxe "clone`" with weber speakers. "Neil Young mod" that will push around 30-40 watts?

Price: $1000

I'm worried about the re-sale value for this puppy.

Note: (THESE ARE NOT THE ACTUAL AMPS) :D

DSCF0426ab.jpg

2) I also found someone selling a Fender Super Reverb (silverface) for

$750

I'm worried about the weight and loud volume (that's why I sold my beloved Vox AC30)

1976_Fender_Super_Reverb_A618766.jpg

3) Just a few minutes ago. I found a used Deluxe Reverb re-issue for $850 (is that a good price?)

Well you guys know what the amp can do, so I don't need to elaborate.

;)

DSCN1952.JPG

4) Or a used Dr.Z Maz 18??

D-AMP-100.JPG

HELP!!!:wave::cry:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i voted DrZ because of this...

Deluxe clone: will still be loud at 30-40 watts. You probably wont be able to get it where you want it. If you sold your ac30 because of the volume, chances are 40 watts of a fender amp will still be too loud...

Super reverb: LOUD mofo and heavy. NICE amp, but yea a backbreaker and again, very loud.

Deluxe Reverb: my personall favorite amp. Can be loud, but you can tame it very easily and it sits in great in a live setting, but $850 is WAYYYY too much for this amp. But the main reason i didn't pick this was because of...(see below)

DrZ Maz 18: this amp simply blows the all the others away hands down imo. Can be loud if you want, but it's still only 18 watts. Master vol. all the controls you need to fine tune your tone. Classic amp right there.

• Members

Deluxe clone: will still be loud at 30-40 watts. You probably wont be able to get it where you want it. If you sold your ac30 because of the volume, chances are 40 watts of a fender amp will still be too loud...

Super reverb: LOUD mofo and heavy. NICE amp, but yea a backbreaker and again, very loud.

Deluxe Reverb: my personall favorite amp. Can be loud, but you can tame it very easily and it sits in great in a live setting, but $850 is WAYYYY too much for this amp. But the main reason i didn't pick this was because of...(see below)

DrZ Maz 18: this amp simply blows the all the others away hands down imo. Can be loud if you want, but it's still only 18 watts. Master vol. all the controls you need to fine tune your tone. Classic amp right there.

I agree, the Z is a killer amp. I tried a few last year. Maz, Ghia, 1 speaker, 2 speakers. It might be hard to find a used one for the right price though.

The Deluxe sounds really sweet and the volume is just fine, but I am really worried about the re-sale value.

The Deluxe reverb is really cool, but there's something about it that really doesn't grab me like WOW!

• Members

Personally, I would go for the Tweed clone. I like the tweed sound. If you can get the DRRI for cheaper, that would be my second choice. $850 is just too much. I don't like the Super Reverb. But that doesn't mean much because I'm not a Silverface fan. I also don't care for the Dr. Zs. That is my input.
Why are you worried about resale value? Are you looking for an amp that you can flip easily if you don't like it??

• Members

thats one thing that allways confuses me is resail value. I never buy a piece of gear with intention of selling it later on. If i pay $1000 for an amp and know it will only be worth $10 when i take it home, thats perfectly fine by me. I dont care what people will be willing to pay for MY amp.

• Members

i say no to the clone because of resale, no to the super reverb just for the fact that the volume seems overwhelming to you, no on the Dr. Z just cuz i think they are fugly (hahaha) and YES to the deluxe reverb, but talk him down a little, $850 is a wee bit high.

i miss your old avatar.....

peanut butter jelly time:wave:

• Members

Thanks a lot for the input guys. One thing is for sure this morning. The DRRI is a little expensive. If it was atleast, $200 cheaper, it would be decent deal. I was panicking about that because, the amp might get sold soon! I wanted to put some cash down this morning, but the $850 CAN price tag is bit too much, I think.

Yes, I think that the Super Reverb is not even an option right now, because of the weight and volume issue. Though, the $750 price tag is nice.

The tweed I'm actually gonna try out with my band this weekend. I managed to convince the amp guy, to bring it to the jam space. So that I can hear, how it would work with my own gear and band.

Ahh....Dr. Z ...really cool amp...my first real choice after selling my Vox AC30 a year and a half ago. I even drove to Ottawa with my girlfriend last summer, just to try a bunch. And she even loved it! She can tell the difference how the different Dr.Z amps sounded (she liked the 2 knob Carmen Ghia). I wanted the red tolex, but she said it's too flashy :D and suggested the cream tolex. Anyways, that's whole different story.

Thanks brothers for helping me decide (well kinda).

:)

Feel free to add any suggestion about this dilemna

Being afraid of "Buyer's Remorse",

Fuzzface71

Jguitarfuzzface.JPG

:wave:

• Members

tweed deluxe is only about 15-20 watts?

Archived