Help! i need a reticon SAD4096

Pedalfiend

• Members

My analog delay crapped out. First pedal to ever have an issue under my use. after 2 hours of prognosis it seems that the problem is the reticon chip(which are notorious for issues). This is a DOD 680 analog delay, one of the best analog delays ive ever played... and now its gone! It passes a modified signal when activated but no delay is to be had, yet the signal quality is altered. So, I'm willing to pay handsomely for information that'll lead an SAD4096 into my hand. Anyone know where a few of these might still be? or can i kiss this pedal goodbye?:cry

-Eric

• Members

That chip has become notoriously rare, and even when new they were insanely expensive. I don't know of anybody who still has a stash. Your best bet, I think, is to look for an MXR Time Delay pedal on eBay. I believe those use a SAD4096 chip, and they're not insanely expensive, either. Swap out the chip, and you're set.

• Members

I'd contact Analogman. And be prepared to pay handsomely...these aren't cheap.

I did, and I am, but i have a feeling hes going to say he won't sell me one. This is :rolleyes: absurd. why arent these made anymore? this was SUCH a warm pedal it was insane. I think i'll try to fix it as long as the chip is Less than half the price of an ebay one. My rig missing this pedal is like, like, if i were to take the fralins out of my strat! or go back to solid state... either one would be a blast to the dark ages. I thought about buying the MXR pedal and stealing the chip out of it... those arent that expensive, but do they cost more than the chip would be from AM? I hope not, but we'll see. I'm rather upset at the prospect of losing this pedal.

• Members

I did, and I am, but i have a feeling hes going to say he won't sell me one. This is
:rolleyes:
absurd. why arent these made anymore? this was SUCH a warm pedal it was insane. I think i'll try to fix it as long as the chip is Less than half the price of an ebay one. My rig missing this pedal is like, like, if i were to take the fralins out of my strat! or go back to solid state... either one would be a blast to the dark ages. I thought about buying the MXR pedal and stealing the chip out of it... those arent that expensive, but do they cost more than the chip would be from AM? I hope not, but we'll see. I'm rather upset at the prospect of losing this pedal.

Well, more readily available NOS chips like the SAD1024 sell for about $20 a piece, so I think you'd be very lucky to find a 4096 for less than $50 (if you can find one at all). I've seen those MXR Time Delay pedals sell on eBay for less than that; I really think that's your best bet. You also have the added benefit of knowing that if you bid on a working pedal, the chip will be in working condition, which is something you can never be sure of when buying NOS chips from some random hoarder. Just make sure you don't fry the chip when you desolder it!

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I just picked up a "time delay" pedal from Apex Electronics in LA...they have a box full of them out back, all missing the delay chip and one other IC, probably a compander (NE57x). How disappointing to learn that it uses the 4096. Oh well, for a couple bucks, I can use it to hold open the door or keep valuable papers from flying around.

Archived