Leslie 147 problem

Jonny_Q

• Members

Something weird happens when I crank my Leslie 147 to "6". Besides giving me that sweeeeeeeeeet overdriven tone, I get a static-y sound that happens when I play F-Eb-Bb at the same time. F/Eb on the upper manual, and Bb on the lower. When I play each of these notes individually, no bad static. When I play all three, it happens. When I turn the Leslie amp down to "5", the problem disappears. The static-y sound is not there 100%, it seems to go with the Leslie effect - fading in and out at a constant rate. Very odd.

I know I know..you'll say "just don't turn it up to 6". Well - the sound I get is so freaking awesome I need to find out how to fix this problem :D

• Members

Could you be hearing a partly blown speaker or driver? Rattle in the cabinet?

Rattle in the cabinet might be it, actually. When certain frequencies combine at loud volumes, that would make sense. Any idea what could be loose?

• Members

Ply wood is prone to resonating. I'd check/tighten all the screws around your woofer and horn. But you probably can isolate it by pushing on different parts of the shelf. If you get rid of this resonance you'll probably create a new one which reacts to different notes/frequencies.

Hey - its a Leslie.

• Members

My guess is your upper driver is on the fritz and might need to be replaced. Another possibility is you could have some filth and muck down in there. I got an old road-haggard Leslie a few years ago and there were cigarette butts and screws floating around in the horn and driver area. Check for foreign matter and start looking for a replacement driver.

Can you isolate whether this is in the top or bottom?

• Members

A couple of questions first. Is the driver a stock V-21 Jensen, is the woofer stock, and is the amp stock? What keyboard/guitar s connected to the Leslie? Does changing Leslie speed affect it? Try to disconnect the driver and then the woofer and see if it still happens.

One thing that helps is to staple fiberglass insulation to the insides (yes, the stuff in the attic) of the cabinet to eliminate mid-frequency standing waves in the cabinet. Do you still have the insulation on the bottom of the driver? Sometimes you can get the cross talk and resonance inside the cabinet like in a room.

Let us know how you make out.

If these things don't work, and you have a stock V-21 Jensen driver, I'll bet it could use a reconing.

• Members

A couple of questions first. Is the driver a stock V-21 Jensen, is the woofer stock, and is the amp stock? What keyboard/guitar s connected to the Leslie? Does changing Leslie speed affect it? Try to disconnect the driver and then the woofer and see if it still happens.

One thing that helps is to staple fiberglass insulation to the insides (yes, the stuff in the attic) of the cabinet to eliminate mid-frequency standing waves in the cabinet. Do you still have the insulation on the bottom of the driver? Sometimes you can get the cross talk and resonance inside the cabinet like in a room.

Let us know how you make out.

If these things don't work, and you have a stock V-21 Jensen driver, I'll bet it could use a reconing.

I assume that the speaker is stock - I can't see any labelling on it though. The Leslie has a new 147 amp in it, and is being driven by a Hammond M3. I disconnected the driver and horn, and it still makes that sound. If the speaker needed to be re-coned, wouldn't it have that static-y sound all the time? It phases in and out at a semi-constant rate.

• Members

Another thing -

When the leslie/hammond are turned up, I can hear "ghost notes" being played. Almost like someone is holding down keys on my Hammond when I'm not, and it gets louder and more pronounced as I turn the amp up. When I switched the Hammond off, the sound flattened in pitch. Veeeeery weird.

• Members

Ghost notes will be in the Hammond. Droning 60 hz (50 hz for those in other parts of the world) will be the Leslie cable.

Quite frankly, I prefer the sound of an old Hammond with a fair amount of leakage vs. one that has been completely gone over. Sometimes cap replacement is a necessity. Shame you can't get caps that are aged like a fine wine.

Do nothing about the cable. Removing the 60 hz from the audio signal removes what I consider a slight ring mod effect when using a Leslie. I did it and hated the sound that resulted. I went back to the original Leslie cable after one gig. The sound man hated me. I didn't care, as he dropped my CS80 down a flight of stairs.

Wes Taggart

Analogics

http://www.analogics.org/

• Members

Ghost notes will be in the Hammond. Droning 60 hz (50 hz for those in other parts of the world) will be the Leslie cable.

Quite frankly, I prefer the sound of an old Hammond with a fair amount of leakage vs. one that has been completely gone over. Sometimes cap replacement is a necessity. Shame you can't get caps that are aged like a fine wine.

Do nothing about the cable. Removing the 60 hz from the audio signal removes what I consider a slight ring mod effect when using a Leslie. I did it and hated the sound that resulted. I went back to the original Leslie cable after one gig. The sound man hated me. I didn't care, as he dropped my CS80 down a flight of stairs.

Wes Taggart

Analogics

Thanks for the info. I don't mind it if its just "aging" noise..I quite like how it sounds, quirks and all. Now, I just need to solve the Leslie static problem.

• Members

My guess is your upper driver is on the fritz and might need to be replaced. Another possibility is you could have some filth and muck down in there. I got an old road-haggard Leslie a few years ago and there were cigarette butts and screws floating around in the horn and driver area. Check for foreign matter and start looking for a replacement driver.

Can you isolate whether this is in the top or bottom?

Check for mice droppings. The 25 I am getting rid off had to be vacumed out of all that {censored}.

• Members

Leslie 147's are wired in a 'G to Ground' or unbalanced configuration and tend to be very susceptible to hum, pops, and other background noise more than the 122. You also might need a new Leslie cable if yours is old and cracked. Remember, that a lot of voltage goes through that cable, so make sure it is not cracked or you can get fried.

• Members

Well its fixed! :D I had the cable curled up under the Hammond - what I did was stretch it out, and check both sides of the connection. After that - I played it, and no more noise! :thu: I figure that the noise vibrations from certain combinations of notes was causing something funky to happen with the curled cable. Now its all good! Thanks again guys.

Archived