ROCKTRON distortion & modulation

wyldesigns

• Members

Used a Rampage for 3 years as my main "metal" pedal.
Have been using the Metal Planet for the last 2 years now.
Had a Tsunami chorus which ticked with the rate so I sent it back although it was very lush.
Had a Vertigo Vibe which nailed Jimi & Trower but was just too big.
Had The Hush pedal and hated it.
Had the Austin Gold for over 3 years as my main low-gain od.

I like some of their stuff.

• Members

I own a Silver Dragon and Short Timer delay, both of which I like. Their boxes are always pretty big though, so they will feel odd if you are used to Boss size pedals. The customer service is pretty prompt and helpful too. IMO, Rocktrons are very underrated and under-the-radar pedals.

• Members

I've got the Tsunami Chorus and the Hypnotic flange.

The chorus is pretty good, doesn't get out of control or anything but for nice basic subtle chorus sounds it gets the job done.

The hypnotic flange was pretty 'meh' to me. Certainly not a bad sounding flanger, but for all its controls it doesn't get very hypnotic, not a lot of versatility there. Its not bad but there are better flangers out there in its price range.

• Members

I sorta have my doubts about their quality control.

I have a Rocktron Short Timer Delay, which sounds really good. Very nice, natural sounding delay. The problems I have with it is that it's very hissy, and on some settings it can make a very faint "whistling" noise. Oh, and the switches can be noisy too, which isn't that big of a deal to me since I'm not constantly switching it on/off when I play anyway.

Got it replaced under warranty, but the replacement has the same issues. I opened it up one day and the soldering didn't look all that great. I saw one spot where two solder connections looked like they were touching. It's too bad because it's a really great sounding delay and I honestly don't wanna get rid of them.

Oh, well, at least I got two for my trouble but I still sorta wish I had just gotten the Ibanez DE-7... :(

• Members

I've used the Tsunami, which I thought was great for the price, really nice sounding. Outside of experience with modulation, I've owned the Hush pedal which imo, ranked higher than the equivalent Boss or MXR noise models and I just took delivery of a Rocktron Cyborg delay which is very decent, although, not worth its usual price and its bloody massive.

Rocktron make quality stuff as far as I'm concerned.

• Members

I have a Rocktron Prophesy preamp and I am very happy with it. The distortions are excellent. I used it with a Mesa 20/20 power amp and a pair of small Mesa 12" cabs. That makes an excellent home-studio setup. There are pre and post gain stage EQ's that give you a very wide range of sound-shaping. The modulations, delays, and pitch shifting are excellent. The rotating speaker sim is "da-bomb" - you can make a really cool Stevie Ray sound (or use the factory preset that is obviously modeled after him). The reverbs are good too, but I found that they required a bit more tweaking to get a sound I really like. There is an effects insert that you can program any place in your chain for each preset so you can add your fav stomp box(es) or Gmajor or whatever if you think you need other sounds. The cabinet sims sound very good and are easy to turn on if I am using the unit with headphones after the kids go to bed or off when I am playing through the Mesa amp and cabs. The various effects in your preset can be switched in and out using buttons on the front panel if you want to do an "A-B" comparison. In addition, there are stereo recording outs that go directly into my Firewire interface for recording - very convenient. Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that preset switching with a midi controller is near instantaneous. This unit was definitely designed with a performing musician in mind. As far as any "constructive criticism" I have for this unit, I would say that there are odd times when I want to get a real chewy old-fashioned over-the-top analog flanging sound that is not quite there. The effects insert can take of that though. I am still planning to get a Dave Fox Paradox zero-though flanger to satisfy my hunger for over-the-top flanging; until then I am relying on a trusty old Ibanez flanger (the yellow maxon-ish one).

I also own a Rocktron Zombie. That thing is so darned brutal that I just can't let it go. I like the fact that you can play around with the asymmetry of the distorted wave. Adding in asymmetry really kicks in a lot of harmonic distortion right away without clipping off the tops of the waveforms. That pedal has a different character than the Prophesy and it turns my mellow ol' clean-sounding Dr. Z Maz 18 combo amp into a monster.

I hope this helps.

• Members

I sorta have my doubts about their quality control.

I have a Rocktron Short Timer Delay, which sounds really good. Very nice, natural sounding delay. The problems I have with it is that it's very hissy, and on some settings it can make a very faint "whistling" noise. Oh, and the switches can be noisy too, which isn't that big of a deal to me since I'm not constantly switching it on/off when I play anyway.

Got it replaced under warranty, but the replacement has the same issues. I opened it up one day and the soldering didn't look all that great. I saw one spot where two solder connections looked like they were touching. It's too bad because it's a really great sounding delay and I honestly don't wanna get rid of them.

Oh, well, at least I got two for my trouble but I still sorta wish I had just gotten the Ibanez DE-7...
:(

I had a similar problem..the Silver Dragon I got had a peculiar problem where it used to go into a low volume state suddenly and you had to smack it a bit to get it back to normal..other times it was fine. Some kind of intermittent connection. I promptly got a replacement which has been working just fine for about an year now.

My Short Timer isnt particularly noisy, although you get a echoing pop the first time you switch it.. so just stomp it on and off a couple of times after you power up your board.