AMP IN A BOX:

RoboPimp

• Members

But the pedals themselves don't sound like a tube amp. If you went guitar->pedal->computer sound card, you wouldn't sound like you were playing through a tweed deluxe.

I've actually heard good things about the new Boss compact amp modeling pedals...at least on some of the settings.

But then you get into analog versus digital, etc.

Yes, there are lots of great pedals out there that have similar dynamic response and equalization to tube amps. But they're really better for giving your tone a different flavor, not turning a solid state Crate amp into a Marshall stack.

Agreed. I was just arguing about his point that all dirt sounds weak through a clean amp.

• Members

I'm going to go out on a limb and cut the Robo a little slack...:eek:

The top post may have been a little dramatic and heavey-handed with the absolutes, but there have been plenty of cases where I've heard a distortion pedal into a bone-clean amp sound less than stunning. I prefer an amp to have a very slight breakup for when I'm adding pedals, especially fuzzes. This seems to add to the interaction of the amp and pedal and helps me from hearing them just as one sound layered on top of the other.

It's kinda like in painting where you want the surface to have some ruffness and texture for the pigments to be able to hold onto. If the surface is too smooth you end up with a mess.

After all that, I gotta mention how impressed I was with the tone of the new Menatone 8-knob pedals into a clean amp. The KOB, WMB, and TBiaC all seem to work against the general rule outlined above. ;)

• Members

although i agree in many respects, i think it is safe to say that we could all be fooled by a good "amp in a box" like mentatone, BJF, OLC and others into a clean amp in a blind test even live. sure if you knew before hand you could say the real amp sounds better but to say it doesnt sound "good" or "as good" is completly subjective.

Tim

• Members

although i agree in many respects, i think it is safe to say that we could all be fooled by a good "amp in a box" like mentatone, BJF, OLC and others into a clean amp in a blind test even live. sure if you knew before hand you could say the real amp sounds better but to say it doesnt sound "good" or "as good" is completly subjective.

Tim

Yep. My Match Box from OLC may not sound like a Matchless at full tilt but for $125 it's close enough and still sounds "good".

Archived