AMP IN A BOX:

RoboPimp

• Members

you been lied to, there is NO pedal that sounds like a tube amp. At least not a good tube amp. There is no pedal that can come close to the sound of an amp breaking up. These pedal builders are either deaf or just plain bull{censored}ting you when they tell you this nonsense.

Another thing: running dirt pedals into clean amps sounds weak.

after you've played a dirt pedal into an amp that's already breaking up on it's own then switch to a clean amp with a dirt pedal and it sounds like a fake plastic kazoo. There is no compromise, you can either use a clean amp and have nasty, flat sounding kazoo distortion or get an amp that gets good and crunchy when pushed and have amazing, harmonic filled multi-dimensional distortion.

Guest Anonymous

HERE YA GO THE FIRST ONE EVER....

Lovepedal introduces the HOTROD Twin. This unit simulates classic power amp distortion with "footswitchable" gain stage for leads.

The HRT will make any amplifier feel loaded with a huge amount of headroom. It delivers an amp-in-a box sound with great response, but it doesn't sound like any amp in particular. It sounds like your amp, with adjustable distortion control, master volume, LED status, and a footswitchable, cascaded gain stage.

twin.jpg

• Members

What a revelation. My life will never be the same again. :idea:

Come on man, every one knows this is true. Dirt pedals do help you keep the size of your rig down though. You can more different dirt flavours more easily with pedals.

Also, i do feel that some dirt pedals give very good sounds. Not as good as a tube amp cranked (a good tube amp, as you pointed out), but good nevertheless.

It is a compromise using dirt pedals, but I think most people are happy with that.

Not everyone has as many {censored}ing cool amps as you. :D

• Members

depends on what u think sounds best.....

i much prefer the sound of some dirtpedals into clean/semiclean amps than the ampdistortion ive experienced (vox ac-30, orange).

pedals not sounding like a tubeamp might not be a bad thing if ampdistortion aint yr thing.

both things can be good also.

• Members

you been lied to, there is NO pedal that sounds like a tube amp. At least not a good tube amp. There is no pedal that can come close to the sound of an amp breaking up. These pedal builders are either deaf or just plain bull{censored}ting you when they tell you this nonsense.

Another thing: running dirt pedals into clean amps sounds weak.

after you've played a dirt pedal into an amp that's already breaking up on it's own then switch to a clean amp with a dirt pedal and it sounds like a fake plastic kazoo. There is no compromise, you can either use a clean amp and have nasty, flat sounding kazoo distortion or get an amp that gets good and crunchy when pushed and have amazing, harmonic filled multi-dimensional distortion.

My OLC Supreaux and Professor Tweed get close - not weak at all. They don't sound identical to tube amps, but then again, not every tube amp sounds good when driven. The OLC kits certainly have the soft clipping and dynamic breakup thing down. They just sound good, even going into a clean amp. Even going into a clean amp modeler.

:wave:

• Members

I don't agree, Robopimp.

There are plenty of fuzz/OD/Distortion pedals that sound great through a clean amp.

But the pedals themselves don't sound like a tube amp. If you went guitar->pedal->computer sound card, you wouldn't sound like you were playing through a tweed deluxe.

I've actually heard good things about the new Boss compact amp modeling pedals...at least on some of the settings.

But then you get into analog versus digital, etc.

Yes, there are lots of great pedals out there that have similar dynamic response and equalization to tube amps. But they're really better for giving your tone a different flavor, not turning a solid state Crate amp into a Marshall stack.

Archived