The "hoax" thread

Veneficum

• Members

So I was kinda bored and searched the net for various synth/keyboard/workstation hoaxes, but couldn't find any?! I know at least for the last 10 years with the mixture of the advent of photoshop/NAMM/Internet Forums there have been a a number of hoaxes and rumours that have surfaced with "graphical evidence". I thought with some nostalgia it might be humorous to look back at some of these here in this thread. Please share!:) :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Haha yeah I remember those Korg hoaxes!!! Man, I remember rejoicing at the idea of a Triton VSTi... and this image is so convincing. Who knows, maybe once the M3 is out for a bit they will actually release this. The extreme would have to be discontinued first though. They also need a Z1 VST now that the moss is dead.

I kinda feel that the big 3 are droppin the ball HARD with softsynths... why hasn't Roland released a JV-2080 softsynth? there is still a high demand for that module on the used market. Would be a great competitor to the M1! Or a JD-990/800 softsynth to compete with the Wavestation by Korg. And of course we see NI owning Yamaha all over the place!

• Members

Haha yeah I remember those Korg hoaxes!!! Man, I remember rejoicing at the idea of a Triton VSTi... and this image is so convincing. Who knows, maybe once the M3 is out for a bit they will actually release this. The extreme would have to be discontinued first though. They also need a Z1 VST now that the moss is dead.

I kinda feel that the big 3 are droppin the ball HARD with softsynths... why hasn't Roland released a JV-2080 softsynth? there is still a high demand for that module on the used market. Would be a great competitor to the M1! Or a JD-990/800 softsynth to compete with the Wavestation by Korg. And of course we see NI owning Yamaha all over the place!

I'd shit my pants if they brought out a VSTi Z1 :D Again I think it's only a matter of time, and I loved the hardware Z1 so much that such a program would actually be worth my money. That thing had character :) It's something I can see myself using an awful lot. Which, for someone who would much rather NOT use software at all, is a bold statement.

• Members

why hasn't Roland released a JV-2080 softsynth?

Because it'd be a "how to kill off your most profitable product line" example.

The 2080's waves are still used, or derivatives thereof. That's a whole lot of intellectual property and blood, sweat and tears, and software means you're giving it away - because it'll get cracked eventually.

Not that the secondhand 2080's are generating any cash, but at least they cashed in on those - once - and for those where a 2080 is "good enough" (lots of people) - well, you'd want them as legal customers, not illegal ones.

• Members

Because it'd be a "how to kill off your most profitable product line" example.

The 2080's waves are still used, or derivatives thereof. That's a whole lot of intellectual property and blood, sweat and tears, and software means you're giving it away - because it'll get cracked eventually.

Not that the secondhand 2080's are generating any cash, but at least they cashed in on those - once - and for those where a 2080 is "good enough" (lots of people) - well, you'd want them as legal customers, not illegal ones.

Well, I see your point about the fact that many of the waves are still used especially the expansion SR-JV cards put into the SRX cards. They could always make a system like the TC PowerCore/Line 6 GuitarPort/UAD-1 where the software is dependent on a DSP system and not the native CPU. That way it can't be cracked if that is what they are truly worrying about. Maybe something like that could replace rack modules in the future who knows.

Archived