What do you guys think of the Marshall JTM45 reissue?

Bruno

• Members

I can not find a place around me that has one for sale and I was trying to compare it to the Marshall Plexi reissue but have nothing to go by :cry:

I am sure that some of you guys have one of the JTM45s so please let me know what you think :)

Mucho

• Members

what do you want to know?

i have one and couldnt be happier

the amount of volume in it is perfect. i was looking at the plexi reissue too before i bought this and it was just far too loud.

this can be used at home (though i dont) but for band use it can be dialed anywhere from clean to 10 and still sit ok in the mix. soundguys dont complain about volume issues (quiet or loud)

the tone is pretty awesome takes some time getting used to it as it definately needs its settings changed as you move the volumes around.

i run it through an open back 2x12 cab so mines sounding quite a confusing mix between classic marshall sound and a fender bassman. i like it enough anyway.

it seems pretty well built, ive not taken a look at the insides but the outside seems ok. no annoying hums or anything of that manner. could use an upgrade of valves when you get it though. which works out nice and cheap cos there really arent that many in there compared to say your average fender amp.

it takes pedals really well. ive not found a dirt pedal that it hasnt worked with yet, besides just my taste they all seem to meld with the amp ok.

its not got any fancy features like fx loop or that kinda stuff but why would you look at this amp if thats what you want?

dunno what else there is really...

• Members

Jake,

Thank you so very much!

I think that you hit it right on the head for me. I heard that the new Plexi heads were way to loud and I do not want to run a hot plate with the amp or mod it for a master vol..

At what point does the JTM45 start to break up and get that Zepplin / Hendrix sound? I know that the head is 30 Watts so it would not take much right? Would you say at 5...6...or do you have to peg the amp at 10 and go deaf?

Sorry to be such a pain but I am really gas'n to get one of these bad boys :D

• Members

I think I'm about to get one of these too. My local music store has had one sitting there for 3 years. I'm trying to talk them down to cost + tax, then I'm going to bite. I'm almost there. I've been leery of buying a Marshall reissue with PCB's in it because I've been playing PTP clones for the last year or so, but I've heard great things about the JTM-45. Plus, the store is going to let me take it to rehearsal next week to try it out before I commit to it. I'll let you know what I think this time next week.

• Members

I think I'm about to get one of these too. My local music store has had one sitting there for 3 years. I'm trying to talk them down to cost + tax, then I'm going to bite. I'm almost there. I've been leery of buying a Marshall reissue with PCB's in it because I've been playing PTP clones for the last year or so, but I've heard great things about the JTM-45. Plus, the store is going to let me take it to rehearsal next week to try it out before I commit to it. I'll let you know what I think this time next week.

Awesome!

I wish the local GC had one around me but they do not :cry: I just want to hear this bad boy in action so I can pull the trigger :D

• Members

I agree with JD and Coke completely!

The older RIs at least are built exactly the same way as Marshall's have been since the early 70s - in fact the early RIs used the same designation circuit boards!...

Compared to a 1987/1959.... think more organic/lower gain/sweeter top, thicker and IMO muddier..... but i much prefer the sound... i tended to run one on the edge of breakup..

Good valves make a hell of a difference too.. takes all overdrives and distortions extremely well

Great amps..v. warm and the best Marshall clean IMO...

As i'm not in a band i ATM i get similar sounds at lower volumes from my Cornell Plexi 18/20.....however... the JTM 45 is a GREAT sounding amp for reasonable money.. (at least in the UK)

• Members

What guitar are you using and at what level does this monster break up at?

Les Pauls- a '69 Deluxe, an R8 Historic, a Special. And Telecasters...

Starts breaking up around 4.

• Members

what do you want to know?

i have one and couldnt be happier

the amount of volume in it is perfect. i was looking at the plexi reissue too before i bought this and it was just far too loud.

this can be used at home (though i dont) but for band use it can be dialed anywhere from clean to 10 and still sit ok in the mix. soundguys dont complain about volume issues (quiet or loud)

the tone is pretty awesome takes some time getting used to it as it definately needs its settings changed as you move the volumes around.

i run it through an open back 2x12 cab so mines sounding quite a confusing mix between classic marshall sound and a fender bassman. i like it enough anyway.

it seems pretty well built, ive not taken a look at the insides but the outside seems ok. no annoying hums or anything of that manner. could use an upgrade of valves when you get it though. which works out nice and cheap cos there really arent that many in there compared to say your average fender amp.

it takes pedals really well. ive not found a dirt pedal that it hasnt worked with yet, besides just my taste they all seem to meld with the amp ok.

its not got any fancy features like fx loop or that kinda stuff but why would you look at this amp if thats what you want?

dunno what else there is really...

Amen to everything you said :thu:

And hell yeah on taking dirt pedals and BOOSTS sound great with this amp as well.Dialing the amp to it's outer edge and stomping on a great variety of boost pedals raised the hair on my neck. :eek:

...and I read somewhere that if you don't own one of these before you die - that you go straight to hell when you do die and no one will remember you as a REAL guitar player...... other than that, I guess I have nothing else to add here. :D

Get one Brother - you won't regret it :wave:

• Members

Eh, I'm having my own custom Dabeck JTM-45 head being built at this very moment. Includes local lifetime warranty.

Love the JTM-45. Congrats to Marshall for focusing once again on great tone vs. some of their recent ventures experimenting with "modern" tones.

• Members

I have one of the early RIs, I bought it modded with Mercury Magnetics output transfomer, reduced filtering, carbon comp resistors, NOS tone caps, KT66 tubes... the works...

how does it sound? Like a vintage marshall amp. Everything mentioned here is spot on, loves pedals, much darker and warmer than later marshalls, sounds insane at the edge of breakup then slammed with a boost. Only thing I have to argue is the volume level. Dimmed on 10 this thing is CRAZY loud! It's tube rectified so it's a squishy loud but still LOUD! Louder than most club gigs would let you get away with. At respectable volumes you'll want some dirt pedals to get you over the edge if you like a bit of crunch. Either way it's a real nice sounding amp for authentic 60s marshall tones.

• Members

I have two of the reissue JTM45/100 stacks and I can't recommend them enough. Pure bliss... these are the models based on the custom 100 watt stacks made for Pete Townsend in the mid-60s, when they hadn't yet developed a 100 watt transformer, so there are two independent 50 watt amps in each head, each driving its own cab. The speakers are a special-design Celestion with a tone like greenbacks stored in seasoned oak barrels. The upper cab is open-back slant, lower is a pressure cab. Marshall claims it's safe to unplug one of the cabs to use it as a 45W unit.

• Members

Well, I got to try out the JTM-45 at rehearsal last night. WOW! What a great amp. Thick, juicy, 'loud' (my drummer thought it must be a 100 watt amp). However, in the past I've used and 18 Watt TMB and 36 watt version as well, and I always used one channel for rhythm and one for lead, however, the High Treble channel on it's own is heinously treble-y. I did the channel jumping and really like how that sounded, so I either have to get a boost now, or figure out how to tone down the high end on the High Treble channel. But, it's a keeper, and I'm keeper-ing it. First thing will be a new set of tubes and a biasing, then I can't wait to hear it then. Great amp. Just great.:thu:

• Members

... figure out how to tone down the high end on the High Treble channel...

do a google on "marshall bright cap mod" and I'm sure you'll find the answer, it's as simple as a snip or if you want to get fussy you can try different cap values 'till you find what you're looking for.

• Members

I had the Z28 once. I really liked it, but after hearing clips of the route 66 compared to the z28, realized I should have gone with the route 66 for my taste. Those thick sustaining mids, the warmth...I need it bad, Jenny. I need it bad.

Archived