OT: The HC Weight Loss Thread

HMCMedic

• Members

So I have spent way too much time drinking and eating these last couple years. I have had a lot of crap in my life with work, death in the family, all kinds of stress..............= heavy boozin, eating........yikes:eekphil:

So what I'm looking for are ideas:) I know, eat less, work out:blah: :blah: :blah:

What are some good things you guys have come across? Low carb? Low fat? High fiber? High protein? Pills? Smoke crack?

What works, what does not..........I need to lose 50-75 to be happy and healthy again:wave:

• Members

try and eat 4 salads a week, and go light on the dressing.

eat smaller proportions (it isn't easy at first)

eat slower (tied to the proportions thing) and enjoy the food

go out for a mile or two walk daily

it will really help you out, plus walks are relaxing, make it your chill out time and just contemplate life as you move about looking at stuff

• Members

try and eat 4 salads a week, and go light on the dressing.

eat smaller proportions (it isn't easy at first)

eat slower (tied to the proportions thing) and enjoy the food

go out for a mile or two walk daily

it will really help you out, plus walks are relaxing, make it your chill out time and just contemplate life as you move about looking at stuff

+ smoke crack...a lot...and frequently...and a lot.:confused: ...what were we talking about?:confused:

:)

• Members

What worked for me was

don't eat or drink anything with a high sugar content

eat when you're hungry (keeps the metabolism going)

allow yourself one cheat meal a week, but no more than one.

drink plenty of water.

I lost about 20 pounds doing this over a few weeks, but I wasn't exactly overweight, just a bit chubby and now i'm what I want to be.

I also did this when my only exercise was walking about 1 or 2 miles a day in my general day to day business and still going out drinking about 3 nights a week.

• Members

Actually, its better to eat small when you ARENT necessarily hungry. The more hungry you are, the more fat is stored when you digest your food. Eating infrequently and massive amounts SLOWS the metabolism. (I have a feeling that this is what sainty meant.)

Its better to eat 5 "snack" meals (healthy-ish stuff obviously) than 2 big meals a day.

I walk 1.5 miles to work (and another 1.5 back home) everyday. I quit drinking alcohol. I eat more frequently, but much smaller portions. I eat greens everyday (or try to). I do 20 situps - twice daily (before and after work).

Since January, I have lost around 30 pounds. I naturally have a slow metabolism, so this is quite an accomplishment.

• Members

None of that {censored} matters.

Calories are energy. Unused energy is converted to mass. Go to a nutritionist and have them determine what your maintenance Calorie rate is. Eat less than that if you want to lose weight, eat more than that if you want to gain weight.

Activity can modify the amount of Calories you need. If you're a crazy body builder you might be eating upwards of 10,000 Cal/day., but the nutritionist will help you figure this out.

Within that limit, eat whatever you want, though I suggest staying the hell away from most anything artificial. Nutrasweet, margarine, low fat/fat free stuff, etc.

• Members

Yeah it does. If you ate all your calories in one meal it would be totally different to spreading them out during the day.

Eh, should have quoted. I meant the "Low carb? Low fat? High fiber? High protein? Pills? Smoke crack?" thing, but I had the reply window open for a while. :thu:

• Members

So I have spent way too much time drinking and eating these last couple years. I have had a lot of crap in my life with work, death in the family, all kinds of stress..............= heavy boozin, eating........yikes:eekphil:

So what I'm looking for are ideas:) I know, eat less, work out:blah:
:blah:
:blah:

What are some good things you guys have come across? Low carb? Low fat? High fiber? High protein? Pills? Smoke crack?

What works, what does not..........I need to lose 50-75 to be happy and healthy again:wave:

Get AIDES.

Seriosly Get a half hour of brisk cardio a day to loose weight. You will soon notice a difference in your whole outlook by getting regular exercise. Also most people who think they really eat healthy seem to forget the gallons of sugar water (soda) they drink on a daily basis. Learn to drink water, or unsweetened tea. Do not try any of those fad diets as they are unsustainable. you really need a lifestyle change if you want it permanent.

And don't even look at the scale. look at the mirror and look how you feel.

• Members

woah.. hazmat/firefighter and you are fat?!?!

well, I am hazmat and I am a bit chunky meself.

I stopped drinking soft drinks recently, and eat humongo salads for dinner and occasionally for lunch. I use these little things name d"salad spritzers" something like one calorie per spray. Use about 3 sprays each of two flavors.

No cheese, meat, or crutons in these salds either

Actually, being a hazmat guy yourself, you can probably empathasize with me on this one: the nature of the job lends itself to some downright poor eating habits at times. When you are on a spill for friggin 36 hours, salads do not cut it.. or can ya find one. SOmetimes the double burger w/fries and a coke are what you need to keep going, or at least it helps somewhat (and lots of Rockstars and nicotine)

I *should* cut back on the beers...:wave:

• Members

I think if you did 3 grams of coke a week, you'd be skinnier than Paris Hilton.

I don't think that works, I know a few fat coke heads. They're always trying to balance the edge off the coke with booze. Most coke heads are alkies also.

• Members

I don't think that works, I know a few fat coke heads. They're always trying to balance the edge off the coke with booze. Most coke heads are alkies also.

I've never seen a fat coke head in my life. Maybe they just sniff a few times, if they did atleast 3 or so grams they'd be skinny as {censored}.

• Members

Change it to the {censored}ing hcef fat bastard thread, and I could join. I really need to lose some weight, but I'm {censored}ing lazy. That probably doesn't help you, but I knew this girl who started doing meth, and she lost a {censored} load of weight, so you can maybe try that. If you want the half-assed version, you could get some diet pills, but that's only if you want to do it half-assed.

• Members

not an expert of any kind. just my thoughts -

cardio work 20-30 minutes, working till 70-80% of your perceived maximum, will improve your fitness.. helps with weight-loss to a degree.. when i can i run; uphill/flat for 30 minutes, nearly everyday.. if you do, get good footwear etc...

and food intake has to be altered of course... i've cut down on going out for meals, less unhealthy ingredients, drink nil calorie cola (:D)...

• Members

woah.. hazmat/firefighter and you are fat?!?!

You only really need to be in shape to get hired!:snax: :snax: :snax:

I started in 1988, I was in great shape back then:)

20 years on the job and sometimes ya let yourself go a bit:)

I think if I cut out booze and pasta and started working out more I'd be good to go. I never drink beer you can see through and I drink lots of it!

• Members

I've lost 20-25 lbs by cutting out sugar and high carb food items. Took me a couple of weeks and its stuck for the most part. I am certainly not fat, but my doctor said I could be at risk for adult onset diabetes soon. Plus, I need to look good on stage.

• Members

-cut out the starchy carbs: pasta, potatoes, rice that isn't rinced to wash away the starch.

- cut out all sodas (including diet)

- drink plenty of water

-eat breads and high-carb grains in moderation

-eat lots of soups and salads

-don't eat for 5 hours before you go to bed at night

- eath healthy, low-fat, low calorie, low carb snacks between meals (lowfat yogurt, cheese, pickles, popcorn)

- eat as many vegetables you want

- eat any fruit but bananas

- do cardio exercise daily, hit the weights a few times a week.

- keep your eyes on the prize