`` I LOVE ACID ``

skunk3

• Members

yup i wasn't arguing, just giving my experience with the Revo.

i should have said 'the main thing (for me) is that is still covers'....

im just as happy that it's a 'great new acid instrument' instead of a 'perfect clone' but the OP might not feel that way.

• Members

No need for clarification. :) I like anything that can do a squelchy, stretchy sound period. It's funny how something as simplistic as the 303 can be so (seemingly) difficult to emulate exactly. It's also funny that despite the following they have and shortage of supply, people are willing to pay so much for a little cheapy plastic box with fake silver. I'd much rather use a modern clone (if it sounds good/correct depending on the application) or like I mentioned before Bassline. I go to that piece of software for all things 303 that I do.

• Members

No need for clarification.
:)
I like anything that can do a squelchy, stretchy sound period. It's funny how something as simplistic as the 303 can be so (seemingly) difficult to emulate exactly. It's also funny that despite the following they have and shortage of supply, people are willing to pay so much for a little cheapy plastic box with fake silver. I'd much rather use a modern clone (if it sounds good/correct depending on the application) or like I mentioned before Bassline. I go to that piece of software for all things 303 that I do.

I have a related question. So I've heard good things about Bassline. I dl the demo, opened it up in Ableton live. It looked cool and all, with lots of buttons, but, for the life of me, I couldn't find the darn Play or Start button. Seriously, I looked for like 10 minutes. Can someone confirm for me that this button exists, and perhaps point out its general location.

Daryl

• Members

For me, the slide function is extremely important. I fell in love with the acid sound from using Rebirth and even though it doesn't sound dead on like a 303, it still programs the same... most of my groovy liquid basslines involved very clever slides.

I think the Revolution is probably the way I'd head though.

• Members

I have a related question. So I've heard good things about Bassline. I dl the demo, opened it up in Ableton live. It looked cool and all, with lots of buttons, but, for the life of me, I couldn't find the darn Play or Start button. Seriously, I looked for like 10 minutes. Can someone confirm for me that this button exists, and perhaps point out its general location.

Daryl

You have to trigger it from the host. So, open up a piano-roll/grid, loop a measure or four, lay down one big long note on any key, then hit play. Then go into Bassline, click on the host-sync button, and you're set. That's the way I do it anyway. Then you use Bassline's sequencer for the actual loop/sequence you want to play.

I usually open four+ instances of it for easy switching. :) Lazy and brute-force, but I find it simpler to trigger different sequences on different instances (and MIDI channels) than to simply change patterns on Bassline at the right time. The only drawback is that you have to set each of them up the same way first (unless you want the sound to change as well (which is kinda fun.)

I have Basslines CCs mapped for automation of knob turning. I don't normally do this, but it's more fun to draw in your knob turns than trying to turn virtual knobs. (I suppose a control surface would be nice.) I always forget that I have one on my CME controller. I usually just use it for straight MIDI note on/off/AT/Vel. :D

• Members

Out of all the clones I like the Revolution myself and am thinking about getting one. I used to have 2 303's. One regular, one Devilfished. I sold them . I cant believe I did that. Its like Im a man without a face.

• Members

Do you mean slide affecting the envelope?

Yes, if I remember correctly it does somehow. Or maybe it effects the resonance or cutoff itself. Either way, it's more than just the constant time I think. There was a really good page somewhere about how it all works, but I don't remember where it is. (I think it was a page with a lot of DevilFish details as well.)

Archived