San Francisco local stores?

• Members

I'll be there too. I'm staying at the Fairmont. Any quality guitar stores near there?

GC (California & Van Ness Ave) isn't too far from the Fairmont (head west over the hill on California 7 blocks). But Rocker Guitars (10th & Howard) & Real Guitars (Layfayette & Howard) are the ones to go to. For acoustics, if it's still there (it's been a long time since I've been there), Guitar Solo (3rd & Townsend) is cool.

BTW, for a great meal at a pretty cheap price, you gotta try Tommy's Joint on Van Ness & Geary. Hof Brau style with a huge beer selection. You can eat dinner for under $12.

• Members

Real Guitars and Rocker Guitars. Walking distance from one another.

both def good guitar shops. I discovered them as well years ago. I'm not sure if it is Real guitar but I remember finding one shop that was literally a hole in the wall and was a great repair shop and selling good stuff.

• Members

Good suggestions so far. Here's a couple more if you have a car and are going to touring any of the other Bay area towns: Subway Guitars in Berkeley on San Pablo Ave. It's funky but legendary with a huge array of some of the wildest guitars you'll ever see (all used) - kind of like the Burning Man of guitar stores. Also Bananas At Large in San Rafael on 4th St. has an excellent selection of new guitars and often has a display of Neal Schon's gear that he trades in there.

• Members

If you are going to check out Banana's At Large in San Rafael, right next door is E Guitars huge inventory of vintage amps and guitars as well as a decent selection of boutique pedals. I have found some killer deals on used pedals at Haight Ashbury Music. South of San Francisco is another killer shop, Gelb Music in San Mateo (Anderson, Suhr, Fulltone, Bogner, Two-Rock, etc.).

• Members

If you are going to check out Banana's At Large in San Rafael, right next door is E Guitars huge inventory of vintage amps and guitars as well as a decent selection of boutique pedals. I have found some killer deals on used pedals at Haight Ashbury Music. South of San Francisco is another killer shop, Gelb Music in San Mateo (Anderson, Suhr, Fulltone, Bogner, Two-Rock, etc.).

E Guitars has closed, unfortunately.

• Members

Gelb Music is actually in Redwood City, about 10 miles further south than San Mateo. Great store though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm visiting S.F. from Seattle and my aunt and uncle took me to Haight because they needed to buy new {censored} for Burning Man, and I popped in whatever guitar store was on the street there and that one left me droolin' too. Cool pedals (almost got a HOG), decently awesome guitars (had a sick jazzmaster), neat amps, even some recording gear, some synths, lots of hand drums, TONS of neat instructional books... I picked up just a metronome (and blue aviator's across the street.) I checked out Real and Rocker when I was here last year and might go back today as there isn't much planned (people I'm staying with have work.)

Archived