I need a new Phaser

upinflames

• Members

So, if you ever look at the guitar thread, I trade my Maxon Phase Tone, Dredge Overdrive, Boss CE-3 & DS-1 (bought off craigslist for $15 for the pair for the purpose of reselling) plus $180 for a TV Yellow Gibson Double Cutaway. Heck of a deal, considering I paid about $120 total for all those pedals, but now I am phaser-less.

I need a new Phaser! I liked my Phase Tone, and if I can find another good deal on one I'll grab it, but recommend me to something new and not so common...I had a Phase 90 which was ok but maybe the upgrade to the Phase 100? Suggest anything, I'm open-minded!

• Members

my two recommendations:

for a simple, awesome sounding phaser: Homebrew Electronics Psilocybe

for a very nice sounding pedal that can do much more and would only cost probably $30 more on the used market: Pigtronix EP-1... It's both an envelope filter and a phaser. very cool, and capable of a lot of effects... as well as the phaser being very "chewy" and said to be very similar to the Red Witch phaser... which is very expensive on its own already

• Members

The only phase shifter I've ever owned is my Tokai TPH-1 - cool, funky old analog job. The circuit board looks like one of those early 70s pedals, totally hand soldered. It's at least 25 years old and not very common, so I could hardly recommend searching for one. But if you ever stumble across one - they sound like a mid 70s phase shifter.

BTW, I use mine with my synths quite a bit - especially my Novation BassStation. One thing I really like about it is I can sync the phase cycle to meter fairly easily - which is really great for the synths.

• Members

I personally like my script logo phase 100 best, but they are hard to find. Still cheaper as script phase90's though. Those MXR phasers are the best bet for adding ambience to your sound anyway. My bandmate has a 70's russian EH smallstone. I love it! It's a completely different effect really. It has a real nasty swoosh that really grabs your sound and takes it to a complete different level rather than just adding some ambience. I love both of these. Never heard any boutique stuff better then one of these.

• Members

-1 to the Nebula as your only phaser. There's not enough variety to it if you're going to make it your only phaser. It's only 2-stage I believe...it's very subtle compared to most other one-knob phasers, and there's not much you can do to change that subtlety.

That said, it's a fantastic phaser with an amazing chorus-like vibe.

The Psilocybe is an excellent choice if it's gonna be your only phaser.

• Members

Have you tried this one?

doesn't matter how it sounds... I don't buy from that company.

I have a nano small stone that's a pretty ok pedal. I will be replacing it with a Mojo Hand Nebula and a Red Witch Moon Phase Deluxe.....

One for subtle, One for Lush.

Archived