sansamp psa 1.1 for guitar applications

davidM

• Members

I don't think the Sansamp PSA is worth >$600 new. There are rackmount preamps that sound better (imo) that you can get used for like $400 - ada mp-1, etc.

The sansamp tri-a.c. pedal might be a better bang-for-the-buck since it is almost the same thing, with digital storage of 3 (analog) presets.

• Members

i'm more looking for a preamp, and entering a situation as a musician were I'll be playing guitar and bass on a 50/50 split. I know the sansamp is famous for bass, i'm just not familiar with the guitar side. So ideally, get a rack set up that is a preamp (this is where the sans comes in) power amp, furman power conditioner. and thus I have a rig I can use for both situations. Thus I don't need to heads.

I should have been a little clearer with my intentions.

• Members

I didn't think the PSA1.1 was for bass -- don't they have the RBI for that?

If you can spare not doing it rackmount, get a Tri-AC for guitar (or a different preamp), and get a Bass Driver for bass - both of those are cool.

http://tech21nyc.com/bassdriver.html

They also have a programmable one like the Tri-ac, but not sure how important it is to have 3 bass channels, i guess if you use distorted bass.

• Members

I had a PSA-1 for a while and it does indeed have several factory presets for Bass. To get the most of this preamp, at least for guitar, I think you need a tube power amp and a guitar speaker cab (speaker simulation is just ok IMHO). I think that is true of most modeling type preamps. I found the controls on the PSA-1 to be more than a little strange and definitely not very intuitive It may take you a lot of time tweaking it to find the right sounds. If you like to experiment with tweaking knobs, that is not necessarily a bad thing. It just takes a little time to learn the controls.

• Members

go to
www.tech21nyc.com
and read about their stuff. I dont know how well psa1.1 works with bass but they definitely have their own bass preamp - the RBI

Edit: just read your other message - check in to the programmable bass driver then?

the description say bass and guitar when you hover over it before clicking on it. so now its just a matter of chosing the power amp.

I'm trying to find an online version of the manual but thus far no luck.

• Members

I had a PSA-1 for a while and it does indeed have several factory presets for Bass. To get the most of this preamp, at least for guitar, I think you need a tube power amp and a guitar speaker cab (speaker simulation is just ok IMHO). I think that is true of most modeling type preamps. I found the controls on the PSA-1 to be more than a little strange and definitely not very intuitive It may take you a lot of time tweaking it to find the right sounds. If you like to experiment with tweaking knobs, that is not necessarily a bad thing. It just takes a little time to learn the controls.

from what i've read thus far the PSA-1 wasn't as user friendly as the 1.1 is. i'm still trying to figure out the power amp... what i've read so far is that its best to use a solidstate power amp. but i can't confirm it. its going to be used mostly for live applications and if we record we will probably mic the cab.

• Members

I can confirm that a solid state is usually better than a tube when used with that kind of modeling preamp. Power Engine, Roland JC-120 come to mind. Micing the cab seems kind of dubious since the power amp is supposed to be "clean", why don't you just use it direct into the board?

• Members

we'll go with whatever works better when the time comes. we're pretty lo-fi with our recording processes, so we try all sorts of things to capture the best tone. I need to do some reading on the Roland, any thoughts on the QSC RMX850?

Archived