Is there an overdrive pedal that sounds good through an SS amp?

SnoMan97

• Members

With low gain on the drive channel of a SS amp most OD's sound good. 90% of the time I use this kind of setup at home and at gigs. Low gain on the drive channel for a somewhat clean edgy sound, then use the OD to get more drive.

The only OD I ever tried that sounds good into the clean channel of a SS amp is the Boss OD-3. All the others (including the TS-9) sounded shrill and thin to me.

• Members
What type of sound are you wanting that you aren't getting with the 2 dirt pedals you already have
:confused:

It's like machine gunner said. They sound either shrill or muddy. Also, as machine gunner said, my amp probably is most of the problem.

• Members
It's like machine gunner said. They sound either shrill or muddy. Also, as machine gunner said, my amp probably is most of the problem.

I'm actually expecting a BD-2 (as you have) in the mail today or tomorrow and I'll run it through the 185 and through my Palomino and Vox VT (which takes OD pedals very well) and let you know the diff. in sound :)

• Members

I really would make getting a tube amp your first priority. For years I only had a SS amp. When I finally got a tube amp, I was blown away by how much better it is than a SS amp. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten a tube amp on the same day I got my first electric guitar.

I have the BD2 with the H2O mod, and it sounds fantastic through my tube amp -- not shrill or muddy at all. In fact, all my dirt and fuzz pedals sound so much better through my tube amp than through my SS amp.

• Members
I really would make getting a tube amp your first priority. For years I only had a SS amp. When I finally got a tube amp, I was blown away by how much better it is than a SS amp. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten a tube amp on the same day I got my first electric guitar.

I have the BD2 with the H2O mod, and it sounds fantastic through my tube amp -- not shrill or muddy at all. In fact, all my dirt and fuzz pedals sound so much better through my tube amp than through my SS amp.

Well I just got the BD-2 today- ran it through my 185 and as suspected, sounded shrill and not nice at all. But then through my Palomino and it was :love: :love: Even through my Vox VT w/ the one tube it sounded great. The one I got is stock, but I imagine the modded version sounds that much better. Very, very cool pedal.

• Members
Well I just got the BD-2 today- ran it through my 185 and as suspected, sounded shrill and not nice at all. But then through my Palomino and it was
:love:
:love: Even through my Vox VT w/ the one tube it sounded great. The one I got is stock, but I imagine the modded version sounds that much better. Very, very cool pedal.

Thanks for the update. I am gonna try to save for a Palomino V16. I've had my eye on one for a while now. Time to get it, I think.

Archived