New editorial on the Studio Trenches forum

• Members

I agree totally Phil. The record companies tactics used to work back in the day, they all got rich and easily. Times change, people, politics, technology change and businesses need to refresh their business model to reflect and anticipate the change. The labels still have a bunch of the old school in the back seat who are scared of change and dont want the effort involved with change. New labels / technologies will keep appearing and challenging and will win if change isnt addressed.

• Members

i agree with you 100%.

but, from the record company's legal department's perspective, i can almost see their perspective. the whole 'slippery slope' thing- this baby clip is ok, but that toddler clip is not. they just say black and white- no grey.

they shouldve had it removed and forgotten about it.

its not a matter of greed. its a matter of lawyers not willing to deal with varying levels of guilt because it sets precedent and could end up harming them (in legitimate claims) in the future. :)

its not a matter of greed. its a matter of lawyers not willing to deal with varying levels of guilt because it sets precedent and could end up harming them (in legitimate claims) in the future.

You have a valid point, but the law specifically states that there are areas of gray - specifically, "fair use". For example, if I quote a part of the song's lyrics in a review of a record, that's usually considered fair use. There are other uses of copyright protected material by a third party that constitute "fair use", and by the nature of fair use, they're pretty hard to specify and itemize. IOW, the current laws require lawyers to deal with shades of gray, and not just absolutes in black and white. Which makes things tricky, but IMHO, this is more about a complete lack of smart judgment on the part of Universal as much as anything else. They're their own worst enemies insofar as the battle over public opinion and positive public relations.

• Members

I see the future of the music industry continuing to shift to where musicians oversee all aspects of their own career. More and more bands will take on the role of business men/women who write, record, and release their own records - on their own labels. I don't think that many will make a fortune doing this, but I do think that more and more bands will be able to make a modest living at it, if they are talented, and work diligently at it.

I know that the major labels will always be around (at least a few of them), but I see their piece of the pie shrinking.

Archived