Ebay advice

opultaM

• Members

I sold my Teaser Stallion to a guy with all positives. I mailed it to him last friday. he's in NYC and I'm in NJ. He hasn't received it yet.

Shouldn't have taken this long at all. I guess I really just have to give him his money back and hope that it returns to sender. Annoying because this is the first time I didn't do Shipping Insurance or Delivery Confirmation.

Any other suggestions?

• Members

This would be why you always offer a shipping option that includes insurance and tracking. Then when stuff goes missing, and it's not insured, it's your buyer's problem... not yours.

I know that doesn't help your current situation very much, and for that I am sorry. But basically, the bottom line is that you are responsible for the item until it reaches the buyer's doorstep. So yeah, you may end up having to send the guy a refund.

Well... you won't have to send him a refund, but if you think he's legit, it would be the right thing to do.

• Members
This would be why you always offer a shipping option that includes insurance and tracking. Then when stuff goes missing, and it's not insured, it's your buyer's problem... not yours.

According to the Paypal fine print this probably isn't true. Although not explicitly stated, reading between the lines I get the impression that the seller holds the risk during transit, regardless of whether the buyer refused to pay for insurance or not. Eg It talks about you assessing whether you, as the seller, will accept the "risk" of shipping to an unconfirmed address, which to me is saying that all the buyer has to do is allege no delivery and unless you can provide a delivery confirmation receipt you're screwed, even if you can provide a receipt that the item was posted. This is why I ship at a flat rate that covers insurance and simply pass that cost onto the buyer. :thu:

• Members

Well here's the thing I actually INCLUDED insurance in the flat rate shipping. Just didn't ACTUALLY get the insurance. I don't know what I was thinking that day really...pretty dumb.

So yeah I realize it's on me and i will have to refund. Just wanted to get an opinion on whether I should wait longer or give it now.

• Members

Well here's the thing I actually INCLUDED insurance in the flat rate shipping. Just didn't ACTUALLY get the insurance. I don't know what I was thinking that day really...pretty dumb.

So yeah I realize it's on me and i will have to refund. Just wanted to get an opinion on whether I should wait longer or give it now.

Seth Carmody is right. The buyer/seller contract, as far as PayPal is concerned, holds the seller responsible for the item's delivery, which means insurance should not be an option, unless the seller wants to take the risk of being ripped off, either by the carrier or the buyer, who can claim that the item was never received. When selling stuff, I pretty much determine the value of the product then add on PayPal and insured shipping fees.

I know that this does not answer your question, but I felt the need to chip in, mostly because a lot of sellers here are confused about the whole PayPal dispute thing.

As for the original question posted, contact the post office for an investigation, or at least to find out if they think it has been delivered. I would also ask the buyer if he'd be willing to let you sit on his money for a week or so -- most times, it's just a matter of a misplaced package. Actually, the return of Autopilot's Antenna was delayed a week or so because of an error with his address that had the pedal coming back to me undeliverable... Maybe a similar situation happened...

c

Archived