are there rules for the order of effects?

peatea

• Members

I'm just curious about setting up the order of effect pedals. Is there some sort of a formula for setting up your pedals to get the best sound? I know that wah is best either before or after distortion and delay belongs at the end, but how do you know where to put the other effects? or is it just based on personal preference?

• Members

its all preference buddy. there are deff different opinions on what goes where, but its up to you.

if i were you, i would try out different combinations.

i put all my overdrives and distortions up front behind my volume and tuner pedal. next comes any modulation, then reverb, then delay.

if you have more than one delay, its fun to put it somewhere in the middle of the chain for cool effects and weird affected repeats.

what kinda pedals you got?

pics plz ;-)

• Members

its all preference buddy. there are deff different opinions on what goes where, but its up to you.

if i were you, i would try out different combinations.

i put all my overdrives and distortions up front behind my volume and tuner pedal. next comes any modulation, then reverb, then delay.

if you have more than one delay, its fun to put it somewhere in the middle of the chain for cool effects and weird affected repeats.

what kinda pedals you got?

pics plz ;-)

I'm currently setup like this...

guitar>tuner>whammy>crybaby wah>tube screamer ts808>ds2>phase 90>dd6>ch1>amp

I just bought a HOG on the internet and that's supposed to be coming in sometime this week.

sorry, no pics at the moment. I'm putting together a board and once my HOG comes in, I'll post it on the pedalboard thread.

• Members

This is from Keeley's website

Q: Is there a specific order my effects should go in?

A: Yes and no. There are some guidelines that can be followed to make sure odd things don't happen. There have been times when a compressor after a delay pedal or reverb unit has caused some bad (good?) effects, there have been brilliant moves to place effects in certain orders that break most rules, but below is a guideline I came up with and was published in Musician's Hotline Magazine. Nice things is it gives you a way, a phrase to memorize so that when you're on the road, you can get it right if you pick up a new effect.
Placing effects in a logical order will help! This list of effects order is just a general guideline. Some of the best and most unique guitar tones have been created by breaking the rules! You guys need a head start at good tone right?! A way to make life easy right?! I came up with a little phrase to help remember the order because even I forget. Ask yourself this when you wonder about effects order or placement: Which Chain Of Effect Pedals Makes Life Easy? All you have to do is remember this phase and which letter corresponds to which type of effect. Wah -> Which, Compressor -> Chain, Overdrive -> Of, EQ -> Effect, Pitch -> Pedals, Modulation -> Make, Level -> Life, Echo -> Easy. I like to see wah pedals and sometimes even phasers as the first effect after the guitar. We?ll call these Wah effects (yes even the phaser). Wah pedals boost a frequency you sweep to with your foot and phasers cut or notch a frequency that is swept to electronically. Distortion pedals make interesting response changes to the boost or cut from these sweep pedals. Compressors typically go next although I like them after distortion pedals in many cases if the compressor is clean and transparent enough. Compression after distortion has two effects that I really like. First, the noise floor is lower because the noise from a compressor isn?t being amplified and distorted by the overdrive pedal. Second, there appears to be more sustain. There is one draw back that some people notice and that is a darker, warmer tone. Some folks might prefer a more conventional, brighter tone. Next comes Overdrive or distortion. Equalizer pedals can go next. They are commonly used for a boost pedal if they can be turned on and off, or used to shape the tone of the distortion pedal. Pitch changing pedals, Vibrato for example; go next for the simple reason that many distortion pedals can?t handle the many pitches at one time. Try strumming a complex chord with your distortion pedal on, say a C7#9#11. Modulation effects go next such as chorus and flanging go next. Level pedals that control the volume go next in many cases. This would include tremolo, volume pedals (great at this point in the effects chain because it cuts all the hiss going to your amp), noise gates and limiters. Since compression is a limiter in many cases and this is why it works post-distortion by the way. Echo effects go last. These include delay and reverb. A sample effects board might contain these effects: Guitar -> Wah, Compressor, Overdrive, EQ, Vibrato, Chorus, Tremolo, Volume Pedal, and Delay-> Amp.

• Members

Short answer: NO

Long Answer: Wah first, Dirt second, Modulation third, & Delay fourth.

But honestly, I've seen many combinations inbetween. Some people put Phase before Dirt, others put Fuzz before Wah, or Delay before Chorus.
It's really all up to you, your ears, and what tones YOU are looking for. But if this fails, that Keeley article is pretty good.

• Members

Short answer: NO

Long Answer: Wah first, Dirt second, Modulation third, & Delay fourth.

But honestly, I've seen many combinations inbetween. Some people put Phase before Dirt, others put Fuzz before Wah, or Delay before Chorus.

It's really all up to you, your ears, and what tones YOU are looking for. But if this fails, that Keeley article is pretty good.

+1.

Sam

• Members

Teh rulez are,dont talk about fight club!

Actually,theres no rules but one..have enough fuzz to put bfore and after every other effect so you have every possible combination of effects settups.

Like:

Fuzz,phase,fuzz,chorus,fuzz,wah,fuzz,trem,fuzz and so on

I realize this isnt at all practical and i'm not even serious but i have enough fuzz pedals to do it and i do do it sometimes and its cool.

Teh real rule?screw teh rulez

:thu:

• Members

Yeah mess about with the order.

I like fuzz after octavia and treble booster into fuzz. And dirt before my phaser. Delay is always last for me.

My current setup goes

OS comp>envelope filter>red llama>tycho octavia>Bluesbreaker>phaseur fleur>treble booster>fuzz>delay

I also have an eq that I put in at random points, I haven't settled on a position for it yet. Not that I've really settled on a position for the rest of them :p

Teh rulez are,dont talk about fight club!

Actually,theres no rules but one..have enough fuzz to put bfore and after every other effect so you have every possible combination of effects settups.

Like:

Fuzz,phase,fuzz,chorus,fuzz,wah,fuzz,trem,fuzz and so on

I realize this isnt at all practical and i'm not even serious but i have enough fuzz pedals to do it and i do do it sometimes and its cool.

:thu:

You speak the truth. A man can never have enough fuzz

• Members

Fuzz all the way back there, Hanglow? :confused:

There are some effects that kinda dictate where they can go:

Germanium fuzzes, and the wacky modern fuzz pedals like the Fuzz Factory and the Ultra Fuzz that interact with your guitar's volume HAVE to go first in the chain or they won't work properly. Not so much a problem if you don't want the "dirty at 10, clean at 9" effect you can get from Ge fuzzes or the hideous caterwauling Fuzz Factory noises...

if you're going to have a tuner in your chain, it's likely to track better if it's near the start of the chain- if it's "listening" to a delayed, fuzzed, ring-modulated signal it's never going to work out whether you're in tune.

Similarly, you might find that pitch shifters/octave pedals track better given a clean signal (or a distorted one, depending on the pedal...) and will warble and glitch if they don't get their way.

Putting a boost pedal before an OD or distortion pedal with its own level control will mean that rather than boosting your amp, it will boost the pedal. This is a good thing if you want more gain without getting tons more volume, but if you're after a level boost for solos you'll be disappointed. That said, putting a boost in front of a pedal that expects to see a normal guitar signal can cause nasty noises as components that aren't meant to be get overdriven.

• Members

logic is a great sonic compass.

do you wanna flange a distorted guitar sound? do you want to distort a flanged guitar sound?

do you wanna EQ the sound going into your distortion, or EQ the sound coming out of it?

etc,etc,etc

• Members

Fuzz all the way back there, Hanglow?

I should have mentioned that's what I had setup at the moment. I have three or four more that aren't in boxes yet as I need to tweak them a bit first. Fear not, they will be introduced in due time. :D That one only really gets used with the treble booster or on its own, so everything before it is bypassed when it's being used

Archived