DD20 Gigadelay - Is there a case against it?

tenoken

• Members

If you think of the DD20 as a multi-fx, it's a very good one. Not every option is a home run, you probably won't use every feature, but you will find some great sounds.

I was hoping for a DD20 XL, with deeper looping, more tweakable dual delays, delay over loops, more control of modulation, etc.

Even with all the new multi function delays coming out, there's not going to be one pedal that satisfies everyone's needs.

The DD20 is a solid, dependable multi delay with some great sounds. I power mine with a Powerall, a One Spot, or a PP2. It covers a huge range. There are pedals that do self oscillation much better (not hard since the DD20 don't do it!), pedals with longer delay times (not many), loopers that will do removeable layers, etc. There are settings that you can get with specific delays that the DD20 may not exactly match, but not many.

A true Delay Freak knows that one delay pedal is never enough, but get a DD20, throw in a dedicated looper and an extra delay (analog or digital) for the shorter portion of syncopated dual delay settings, and you're golden.

• Members

yeah, I really want to get a second delay but I keep telling myself that I don't really need one since I have the DD-20.

It might be neat, but I really don't. I'll prolly get one anyway though:thu:

In all honesty, I could definitely be happy with the DD-20 as my sole delay pedal.

That said, having others does allow for lots of different variations, like a dual delay that is far more useful than the DD-20 mode of the same name. I'm a big fan of short analog (or analog-voiced) delay into long digital.

• Members

Once you skip through two of any presets, you lose your trails. But if you are using 3 delay presets in a song and want to have trails on them all, go jump under a bus you fussy swine! If not, get a DD20, cause you can do sound on sound and then change preset and play a nice delayed solo over the top of the loop. I think you can skip between two presets indefinitely and not lose trails, if that helps, you have to set up the preset scrolling somehow.

• Members
i'm considering getting rid of my headrush and dmm and going back to using just a dd-20. i think it's a great pedal. get yourself one and don't look back.

awesome :cool:

at this point even a few small criticisms aren't going to outweigh all the good this pedal can do.

• Members
Once you skip through two of any presets, you lose your trails. But if you are using 3 delay presets in a song and want to have trails on them all, go jump under a bus you fussy swine! If not, get a DD20, cause you can do sound on sound and then change preset and play a nice delayed solo over the top of the loop. I think you can skip between two presets indefinitely and not lose trails, if that helps, you have to set up the preset scrolling somehow.

Is this directed at me?:confused:

I didn't realize that it was any 2 presets though. I was just trying to get back to my main delay preset...

• Members

I've owned the DD-20 for about three or four months now, and here's what I've come up with so far:

Pros:

-four very convenient presets (five if you include "manual" mode)

-beautiful sound

-extremely versatile, 11 modes of delay

-can be set as a chorus pedal, sitar emulator, or short looper

-not true bypass, but has a great buffer (a pro in my book)

-doesn't process the guitar's signal while in bypass mode, like the Line 6 DL4

-can be set for self-oscillation in "analog" mode :)

Cons:

-eats batteries like crazy. an adapter is a must

-looper is too short to be a deal-breaker for buying the pedal (and as previously mentioned, loops can't be saved).

-to get the most out of the pedal, you really need to know how to use all of its functions (tap tempo, sos, modulated delay tweaking, etc)

-can't loop the delayed signal. you can use the delay on your regular signal while playing over a loop, but not while actually recording it.

-expensive to buy new (although it can be had for a great price on the used market)

There may seem like longer negatives than positives, but I assure you that my DD-20 isn't going anywhere...And to me, the positives outweigh the negatives immensely. In my honest opinion, its sound quality and versatility make up for its faults.

In response to the starter of this thread, the looper on the DD-20 is nothing to write home about. 23 seconds is just enough for a fast 12-bar blues.... but forget it if you're going to want to do whole songs and play over them. Plus, you won't be able to use one of the delay modes and record a loop at the same time. You CAN, however, record a loop of regular guitar, and then play something over the loop using a preset that you previously made (by stomping on the right pedal while the recorded loop is playing). Beware, though, that if you stomp on it twice, it cuts the loop out entirely, and it is lost forever.

• Members

Awesome pedal. One thing I get sick of is people moaning about the loop function and how it doesn't do 'this' or 'that'. It's a delay pedal, with a couple of cool extras, like the looper, thrown in. I mean, what do you want? Would you like some dirt patches on there too maybe? Seriously, the looper will do fine for a bit of practice, but if you want a proper looper, don't buy a delay pedal, buy a looper... :idea::rolleyes:

• Members
Is this directed at me?
:confused:

I didn't realize that it was any 2 presets though. I was just trying to get back to my main delay preset...

Sorry, I wasn't directing it at anybody, just saying that wanting trails to stay on while you scroll through all the presets is a big ask for such a 'cheap' pedal. Anyway, yeah, I'm pretty sure if you set it up so it switches between two presets only (manual and one preset), you can set one to SOS, the other to a delay, and switch between the two as much as you want (but you cant record a delayed sound in the loop)

One thing I've always wanted to do with this pedal is control it remotely using the footswitch jack so I can turn it on and off elsewhere. That way I can leave it in the fx loop at all times instead of punching it in and out with a TB loop, and get trails.

• Members

In response to the starter of this thread, the looper on the DD-20 is nothing to write home about. 23 seconds is just enough for a fast 12-bar blues.... but forget it if you're going to want to do whole songs and play over them. Plus, you won't be able to use one of the delay modes and record a loop at the same time. You CAN, however, record a loop of regular guitar, and then play something over the loop using a preset that you previously made (by stomping on the right pedal while the recorded loop is playing). Beware, though, that if you stomp on it twice, it cuts the loop out entirely, and it is lost forever.

That's all I want it for anyway. If I want to play over top of a whole song or go crazy with loops and settings, I can go record those parts in Garage Band and then play over top of as many loops as I please. :thu:

• Members

Sorry, I wasn't directing it at anybody, just saying that wanting trails to stay on while you scroll through all the presets is a big ask for such a 'cheap' pedal.

ok cool, he was asking for any negatives about the pedal and it was the only thing that I could think of.

• Members
That's all I want it for anyway. If I want to play over top of a whole song or go crazy with loops and settings, I can go record those parts in
Garage Band
and then play over top of as many loops as I please.
:thu:

Great. I just wanted to let you know, so that you weren't disappointed later on. I feel exactly the same way - if you want long loops, use a dedicated looper or recording program. The DD-20 is a phenomenal package as it is.

Archived