5 reasons why I don't like hip-hop.....

mookieunit

• Members

I'm just running my mouth off here but here it goes:

1- It's like a shark - for as long as it's been around it has evolved very little.

2- Serious lack of guitars.

3- Serious lack of most other instruments.

4- Gangsta rap mentality glorifying guns, drug dealing and general disrespect for women and society's core values.

5- Any rhyming asshole with a mike becomes an "artist".

Discuss :cool:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I'm just running my mouth off here but here it goes:

1- It's like a shark - for as long as it's been around it has evolved very little.

4- Gangsta rap mentality glorifying guns, drug dealing and general disrespect for women and society's core values.

Discuss
:cool:

mmm... I'm not a fan I must admit, but......

I think it has evolved a fair bit, take a listen to that early hip hop stuff and modern stuff, I think it's evolved a fait bit....not that it's any better but..

yeah, I don't listen to any dance music for that same reason, not enough guitar for me.

"glorifying guns, drug dealing and general disrespect for women and society's core values" yeah, some of it is pretty bad....although a lot of hip hop isn't like that at all.

I think hip hop reached it peak with NWA and Public Enemy....I think it's kinda gone down hill since then.

• Members

IT's *devolved*.

Seriously, old-school hip-hop is actually kinda good. They use guitars/bass, sometimes even real drums (although usually they are real drums sampled/looped). The rappers (at least some of them) had decent messages and decent lyrical abilities.

Now, "hip-hop" blows for all the above reasons. You can make a hip hop super-smash-hit track with some shareware synth programs and a crap microphone, as long as you have some slutty girls to record the chorus of sexual moaning, etc.

• Members

"When I say blah, you say 'blah'

When I say bleh, you say 'bleh'

Now somebody screammmmm!"

oh, and...

"Just wave yo hands in the ay-yah

Wave em like you just don't cay-yah"

{censored}ing sucks.

I like The Roots though. Real musicians who can shred all around.

• Members
"When I say blah, you say 'blah'

When I say bleh, you say 'bleh'

Now somebody screammmmm!"

oh, and...

"Just wave yo hands in the ay-yah

Wave em like you just don't cay-yah"

{censored}ing sucks.

I like
The Roots
though. Real musicians who can shred all around.

lmao :lol:

• Members

i debate this with my rap listening friends all the time, is rap music? i say no because it lacks the melodies and harmonies. there may be parts of the songs where there's singing or an actual melody, but that's not the rapping part. and if it is music, it is the most simplistic, devoid of thought music i've ever heard. anyone wanna chime in?

• Members

mad haters up in huur.

I enjoy true hip hop lyricists, but they are few and far between.

And some rock propagates guns (ted Nugent) and lets not forget "sex drugs and rock and roll"

Hip hop is what it is (well all music really) if you don't like it, its your right to make up your mind. But to say theres a lack of evolution though, truly comes from someone who doesn't listen to it.

• Members

most of every genre of music is horribly unlistenable.

maybe im wrong, but from most of the anti-rap arguments presented in this thread are the result of only having been exposed to radio/ top 40 stuff. by that logic rock sucks because i dont like fallout boy and their fat chick singer.

im not that into it, in fact i havent voluntarily listened to hip hop in months, but if you dig deeper there is some good stuff.:)

• Members

I guess the thing is there are as many sub-genres to hip hop/rap as there are in rock. The only stuff I can really listen to is Public Enemy, mainly because of the lyrics, I used to be a big punk listener (that's real punk not this modern cack) and I think Public Enemy are pretty much a punk band. You could suggest that maybe they have more in common with the Dead Kennedys than most hip hop artists.

• Members
most of every genre of music is horribly unlistenable.

maybe im wrong, but from most of the anti-rap arguments presented in this thread are the result of only having been exposed to radio/ top 40 stuff. by that logic rock sucks because i dont like fallout boy and their fat chick singer.

im not that into it, in fact i havent voluntarily listened to hip hop in months, but if you dig deeper there is some good stuff.
:)

Exactly!
If you wanna hear some really good, hybrid of styles check out these two bands, which I can't stop listening to:

Subtle - amazing mix of indie, experimental and hip hop

Dalek - the "My Bloody Valentine" of Rap. Awesome dark textures, feedback, and ambience. Amazing effects and overall feel

As said above, look a little deeper than what's on the radio. There is so much good music out there. It's a shame to just pass it all by because of a few artists you don't like.

:thu:

• Members

i'd say rock music is more stagnated that 'hip-hop' at the moment.

i think you might get more over-exposed to that kind of music in the USA though.. i hear country music, pop and hip-hop out-sell everything else by a huge amount in the USA?

i doubt it's in the top 3 biggest selling genre's over this side of the pond though.

• Members

Mmm. Like the delta blues.

Offhand, try a little Buck65, Beastie Boys, or P.O.S. No guarantees, but you might like some. Man, how did I forget the Fun Loving Criminals?

Modern day rock seriously lacks brass and piano. Modern day country seriously lacks synthesizers. Or perhaps other genres have a serious lack of scratching or sampling (of what... hmm, a lot of different instruments)?

Yep, for the most part. If you're interested in something a little more thoughtful, try Sage Francis or The Streets.

That's a "mic". It's either that, or start a punk band.

• Members

i hope to god you're not serious about the lack of guitars and instruments as being a reason to dislike a genre. have you ever heard of drum n bass? oh how about IDM?

what about folk? that's one guitar and a guy singing. lack of instruments.

that's just the first layer of what's wrong with what you said.

get your head outta your {censored}ing ass before you start talking {censored} about music you obviously know nothing about.

edit: and for the record, i dont even {censored}ing own any rap. what've you said is an insult to rock fans everywhere, you're basically proving that closed minded mentality that rock fans are known as having.

• Members

I usually try to make a distinction between hip hop and gangsta rap. Gangsta rap, if anything, has de-evolved into cookie cutteresque rappers talking about how much money they have an how hard they are. (But you could also argue that there is an equal amount of cookie cutteresqueness to rock music as well. Anyone else find a striking similiarity between let's say Coldplay and U2?)

Hip hop on the other hand, seems to be a bit more artistic to me. There is often actual instruments being played, which I can appreciate more than just samples. It's not my favorite genre, but people like Public Enemy, Sage Francis, the Arsonists, Roots, etc. are doing far more interesting music than people like Fifty Cent, Eminem, et al. But that's just me.

Archived