Digital and Analog pedals

byteblock

• Members

it appears analog is the favored choice in both chorus and delay. what is the difference between the 2 types? I would assume to produce the effect that those pedals make, that they were all digital, but I guess not. why is the analog type favored over the digital? analog just make a more natural sound?

• Members

There is a certain "warmth" to analog effects that most digital effects lack. Some would describe the sound of analog effects as more "organic." What is meant by that is that the tone is more closely related to the actual instrument and sounds less synthetic than digital.

I think both have their advantages/disadvantages and have their usefulness. It's like anything else...personal preference is the ultimate deciding factor.

• Members

Basically. Digital pedals use processing to "emulate" the sound of analog effects in a cheaper way (due to the increasing rarity and cost of some vintage parts). Therefore, digital simulations of analog effects rarely equal the real thing. Some effects are impossible to do with analog, though, and that's where digital effects are appreciated (long delays, pitch shifting, etc)

• Members

i kinda feel the way about digital as generic brands of mac and cheese. it's similar, but it's not quite as good as the blue box.

not really, but digital distortion just makes me wanna throw up. just the very thought of it.

the only digital thing i can deal with is delay, because it just makes sense.

Archived