any Moog Murf owners around?

gambit

• Members

i'm saving my pennies and ebaying as much as i can to buy a Moog Murf, but i was wondering if many people on here own one?

i never seem to see many threads about it considering it has such a fantastic variety of sounds and is quite cutting edge in comparison to a lot of other effects types. is it too cutting-edge for guitar music? :confused:

i like the way it can sound like a phaser, tremolo, seek-wah (TM ZVex) and has more features covered than you could really ask for. minus presets.

i'm getting tired of all the compromises between 'nice analog sound' vs features vs price vs not getting bored of one sound.

it's time to spill some decent money on a big boys toy, so i just need some owners to tell me how they use theirs, what makes them love it vs what bugs them most about it etc to help justify the spend.. please!

• Members

I have one. They're very cool, and I played with mine non-stop for about a week.. But since then I've found that I haven't really used it that much. They're very hard to use live.. A tap-tempo pedal will help a little.

They also have such a distinctive sound that I try to avoid using the effect in more than a few songs.

I keep mine around mainly for recording, and then it's more for layering noises in the background.

• Members

I have one. They're very cool, and I played with mine non-stop for about a week.. But since then I've found that I haven't really used it that much. They're very hard to use live.. A tap-tempo pedal will help a little.

I keep mine around mainly for recording, and then it's more for layering noises in the background.

that's mainly how i use mine too. for me tap tempo is ESSENTIAL with it. it's gonna save you lots of time in the studio.

It can be used in so many ways. Very cool to experiment things and to bring new ideas to songs.

• Members

that's mainly how i use mine too. for me tap tempo is ESSENTIAL with it. it's gonna save you lots of time in the studio.

It can be used in so many ways. Very cool to experiment things and to bring new ideas to songs.

i hear that some people would prefer the tap tempo to go faster than just doubling the input tap. ie its too hard to tap in the faster rate settings. i imagine i'd prefer slow to medium rates anyway.

do you use delays with your Murf? i'm just wondering about syncing an external tap tempo to delay and the murf at the same time to get them to lock in sync would probably sound really good.

it is better to treat the Murf as a modulation pedal or filter pedal, or would you throw it after your reverb/delays in the chain? presumably you'd want to affect most of your sound.. post-distortions etc..

• Members

They also have such a distinctive sound that I try to avoid using the effect in more than a few songs.

I have one as well and I have exactly the same opinion

hard to use live, even in the studio it took me painstakingly long to dial in the MuRF, I used it in 2 songs and when these songs didn't make our playlist, I took the MuRF off and havee not been using it much since.

One thing I disliked about the pedal is the volume drop when engaged, and you can raise the level and drive a little but this will also influence your sound when the pedal is off.e Another concern I have with Moogerfooger pedals are the crappy power supplies (sometimes I hit the switch and the power is cut, the plug of the Everglow adapter that came with the MuRF just doesn't fit, but my main dislike is the buffer, really adds a lot of high end.

Still a wonderful unique effect though

• Members

i hear that some people would prefer the tap tempo to go faster than just doubling the input tap. ie its too hard to tap in the faster rate settings. i imagine i'd prefer slow to medium rates anyway.

do you use delays with your Murf? i'm just wondering about syncing an external tap tempo to delay and the murf at the same time to get them to lock in sync would probably sound really good.

it is better to treat the Murf as a modulation pedal or filter pedal, or would you throw it after your reverb/delays in the chain? presumably you'd want to affect most of your sound.. post-distortions etc..

i use at the end of the chain pretty much all the time. i treat it as a modulation. if you put the mix know at 100% you won't really notice the effects that are before it tought. i don't use it with delay but you can surely make something interesting with delay. something that should be awesome would be to putting the murf in a delay's effect loop. i guess you could get something really cool.

• Members

I have one as well and I have exactly the same opinion

hard to use live, even in the studio it took me painstakingly long to dial in the MuRF, I used it in 2 songs and when these songs didn't make our playlist, I took the MuRF off and havee not been using it much since.

One thing I disliked about the pedal is the volume drop when engaged, and you can raise the level and drive a little but this will also influence your sound when the pedal is off.e Another concern I have with Moogerfooger pedals are the crappy power supplies (sometimes I hit the switch and the power is cut, the plug of the Everglow adapter that came with the MuRF just doesn't fit, but my main dislike is the buffer, really adds a lot of high end.

Still a wonderful unique effect though

yeah i'm with you on that too. the volume drop and the crappy power supplies suck, but nonetheless very cool pedal.

• Members

Ive got one. Used it all over my album. Very unique sounds and textures. actually, if you got to my myspace, you can hear it on the chorus of the song "These Adult Bones" doing one of it's "arpeggiated" sounds (an incredible and rare sound).

• Members

Ive got one. Used it
all over
my album. Very unique sounds and textures. actually, if you got to my myspace, you can hear it on the chorus of the song "These Adult Bones" doing one of it's "arpeggiated" sounds (an incredible and rare sound).

actually, i was gonna talk about your band but i tought i'd leave you the privilege

:thu:

serioulsy, check spoonie g's band they're GREAT!!!:wave:

• Members

i tried the bass murf out in a shop with a guitar and guitar amp - sounded really nice.. great effects etc, then i tried the same setup with the guitar Murf and it was a totally different experience.

the bass one just seemed to be too subtle overall, and the lowest freq slider is a sub 100hz roll off or something rather than a frequency band of its own. the hgiher range of frequencies in the guitar Murf gave a load more usable sounds. i was interested in the Bass one first, but having tried both, i would only get the guitar Murf for guitar.

Archived