Pelican / Isis / Kyuss Smoother yet Heavy Tone

• Members

So this has been bugging me for years now... do you guys know those tones that sounds heavy as hell, but turn out to have VERY VERY little gain on closer listen? Yeah. I want to find that.

I'm trying to get back into recording after recovering from a nice addiction from WoW :cry: so I will hopefully be posting here a bit more again :)

I don't remember if my rig is in my signature anymore so heres what I have - the items Starred are the ones I'm actually using as of now.

*Nelsonic Phoenix w/ a ducnan 59 and dimarzio super distortion

*Ampeg VT-22

*SD-1

*Russian Muff (new type)

*SCOD

*DD-20

Bad Monkey

Fish n Chips

Small Stone

• Members

Try out the Skreddy Mayo, thats actually exactly the sound I use that for. Pelican and Kyuss are two of my favorite bands. It's gonna get you exactly those sounds but can be very heavy and very smooth. Kyuss has a wider vareity of sounds and can sometimes get grungy distortion sounds, and Pelican can get pretty heavy. But it is something that works in that range, but maybe not for emulating those bands exactly. I want to try the Skreddy Pink Flesh to see if it is any closer.

• Members

So this has been bugging me for years now... do you guys know those tones that sounds heavy as hell, but turn out to have VERY VERY little gain on closer listen? Yeah. I want to find that.

I'm trying to get back into recording after recovering from a nice addiction from WoW
:cry:
so I will hopefully be posting here a bit more again
:)

I don't remember if my rig is in my signature anymore so heres what I have - the items Starred are the ones I'm actually using as of now.

*Nelsonic Phoenix w/ a ducnan 59 and
dimarzio super distortion 2

Ampeg VT-22

*SD-1

*Russian Muff (new type)

*SCOD

*DD-20

Bad Monkey

Fish n Chips

Small Stone

I got the same setup above in bold, plus a DS-1 and a DE-7. I have a Fat Strat also. I can switch to my neck pickup, roll tone knob all the way down, then hit on the DS-1 and I can get perfect QOTSA tones. Good stuuuuuuuuuff!:thu:

• Members

i think when i saw Isis last one of the guys was using a Fulltone "fulldrive" is it? it has two channels of gain on it and white chicken head knobs if i remember correctly.

i think the others use amp distortion mostly.. umm.. rattling my brain.. maybe a mesa and a laney TT100 or VH100r?

• Members

i think pelican use rectos, oddly enough, but other bands like that tend to use high powered heads and cabs that go dead loud and stay clean - like sunn model Ts, sound city 120s, orange 120s, Laney Klipps etc.

use fat strings and tune waaaaaaay down - as far as A in some cases. big muffs and rats are a good pedal to use too.

• Members

catalinbread scod?

i haven't tried one myself yet, but i love all catalinbread pedals i have tried so far (semaphore and teaser stallion).

"This pedal is fitting for all styles of music. At the time of publishing this, for me it is especially tasty for (but surely not limited to) use in heavy 'stoner rock' applications. I say this mostly because of my recent obsession with the band Kyuss. "- Nicholas @ Catlinbread

• Members

your strings rattle at C? my strings barely {censored}ing rattle at A. And I play 10s.

But yeah, C standard is good. I know Electric Wizard (heaviest band in the world :thu:) uses bass amps to get that heavy tone.

Kyuss (who'll i admit i haven't listened to in a long time, i have an album sitting on my desktop) from what i remember sounds like they play really loud. so they gives teh hevvy with the c standard and mids boosted.

• Members

Pelican sucks. They want to be Isis with about 1/10th of the imagination and talent. The drummer totally ruins that band. I had on City of Echoes last night for about 5 minutes before turning it off and revelling in the wonder of Panopticon by ISIS.

• Members

Pelican sucks. They want to be Isis with about 1/10th of the imagination and talent. The drummer totally ruins that band. I had on City of Echoes last night for about 5 minutes before turning it off and revelling in the wonder of Panopticon by ISIS.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/43430-city-of-echoes

I know it's pitchfork but just read the first line.

• Members

I guess you never heard Australasia? It's the ultimate sludge cd out there. I admit though, that city of echoes is one of their crappier cd's

Archived