Line 6 DL4 Delay Advice

strat6866

• Members

I want a delay pedal and checked out the clips of the Line 6 DL4 in MF and it sounds great. Now, i have sold all of the Line 6 equipment i had in the past because i dont care for the thin, overly processed sound.

Does anyone own this pedal and do you find it very processed sounding or is it as good as the clips on MF?

Thoughts? Opinions?

• Members

That's what i'm hearing...reliability probs.

Yeah... but even a lot of professional musicians use them too. But then they have extra money to keep buying new ones. You should try it out in person anyway.

...but also try out a DD20 (if you haven't already)

• Members

The DL-4 is pretty well liked all round for its sounds. A couple of the delay settings seem to reduce volume slightly, but in general there are no complaints from users in that department.

Where the DL-4 DOES seem to fall short for a lot of people is in terms of reliability. If you don't use the dedicated PSU (relatively expensive, not very convenient if everything else you use is powered from another PSU), various people have reported their DL-4s breaking down, occasionally spectacularly, and then stopping altogether. Most of the time, these "comas" can be fixed by removing the EPROM chip inside the DL-4 (you'll need to remove the base of the unit and use a tool of some sort to prise the chip free of its base, which you don't want to be doing in the middle of a gig...), but you might not want to be doing with this sort of thing.

The main competitor for this corner of the market is the BOSS DD-20 (although the looping functions on the DL-4 pwn those on the DD-20), although there are new Eventide and TC Electronic delays out/coming soon that might be worth considering, although I'm not sure of prices...

• Members

I got my DL-4 this week, and I love it. The digital sounds are amazing. The Tape sounds are great (although I dont know what true tape echo is supposed to sound like), and the analog sims are really good. Most of all, I think the looper is amazing. Ive got the Line 6 power supply, as I heard that some of the breakdowns may have occurred due to a generic power supply. And a 1spot adapter does NOT fit into the jack. You need a tip.

• Members

reading this has gotten me scared my DL-4 is going to break down...:'( i love my dl4!

i am very pleased with it, one thing great about this pedal is after recording loops instead of having to play the loop again and then press overdub (like the headrush) you can just record overdubs straight away

Archived