Old WH-1 vs. new Digitech Whammy

Honky-Tonk

• Members

man that sucks...you better have sold it for a decent amount!

i have never tried an original, but the new one seems pretty good, they cant be that different, are they?

The tracking for old ones is suppossed to be way better, especially with multiple notes running through it. An example that I know you'll get would be the intro riff n "My Iron Lung" where a whammy is used. If you try to use a WH-4 for that riff it will glitch out due to leaving notes ringing.

People say tha the WH-1 sounds less "digital" alot on the reviews, but it is still a digital pedal.

The WH-1 can also be modded for TB.

If any of this is wrong, someone please do correct, I've never played a WH-1.

• Members

I don't understand why Digitech can't just make the "new" Whammy like the original? Why can't they?

Maybe the same equipment used isn't in production??? Don't know, I kinda wondered this myself.

OR, maybe it's all a set up. After everyone buys a bunch of WH-4's they decide to make a "true" reissue so we have to buy the same pedal twiceto truly getwhat we are after. :eek:

• Members

Yeah, what rydia said. The original WH-1 used pitch-shifting chips from a company called IHL or something, they also made the pitch-shifters in some of digitech's old rack units which is why they track so well. Once they went under, Digitech's been unable to perfect their own replacement for the pitch-tracking chip, for whatever reason. EHX has been able to do it in the HOG, but it is very expensive - it might actually be cheaper to buy an old rackmount than to buy a hog plus foot controller.

• Members

The tracking for old ones is suppossed to be way better, especially with multiple notes running through it. An example that I know you'll get would be the intro riff n "My Iron Lung" where a whammy is used. If you try to use a WH-4 for that riff it will glitch out due to leaving notes ringing.

People say tha the WH-1 sounds less "digital" alot on the reviews, but it is still a digital pedal.

The WH-1 can also be modded for TB.

If any of this is wrong, someone please do correct, I've never played a WH-1.

So in other words, the glitches on the WH-4 don't sound as cool as the WH-1; probably something that can be worked around. I used to use the detune function on my original for a cool sounding chorus effect. Does the reissue have the same chorus type setting which is labeled detune?

• Members

So in other words, the glitches on the WH-4 don't sound as cool as the WH-1; probably something that can be worked around. I used to use the detune function on my original for a cool sounding chorus effect. Does the reissue have the same chorus type setting which is labeled detune?

It flat out glitches more on the WH-4 I believe. They just can't handle multiple notes very well.

Oh, and yes, there still is a chorus type effect under detune. There ae actually 2, (don't know if originals had this, never used one) there is a shallo and a deep one.

• Members

I tried it a bit with my friends bass on the octave down with some fuzz and it sounded great.

Cool, thanks. I just wanted to ensure that playing it with a bass would not damage it, and that it would still track okay.

• Members

I've owned the WH 1 and the XP 100, and I own a WH 4. First I had a WH1, but I had a chance to trade for a 4 so I did and I a/b'ed the two. The 1 had a slighly different sound, less harsher, but nothing that survives in the sound if you play with distortion or any other effect. I do prefer the 1, but not for the $$ I can get, so I got rid of it and kept the 4. I don't think that the difference between the 2 is even that apparent unless you a/b them through an amp set for a clean, flat sound.

I then had a chance to trade for an XP 100 and I did not like it at all. Some of the sounds are accessible on the XP, but I hated toggling through the presets with the list on the back. Needless to say, the XP got sent off to eBay, and I still have the 4.

As for not reissuing the WH 1, I think the chip they used on the first generation pedal is not being manufactured anymore, which is why they started the different homoglamations of the Whammy's, but the WH4's chip is supposedly very similar, at least in the way it functions within the circuit, which is why they brought it back with more or less, the same case design.

c

• Members

I've had a whammy 1 forever and a day and i've actually owned all the other variations in an attemp to replace the wh-1 and get loads of money to buy something else. Here's how they stack up in my opinion..

wh-2- not that bad, actually the closest by far, and except for the unbearable pre-amp and hiss that comes w/ it is pretty good.

whammy-wah.. really nothing good to say about it, just flat out sucks

whammy 4- sounds ok until you put next to either the one of 2, then it's pretty obvious the tracking is bad(er) the sound is more like a boss pitch shifter in that there's always this {censored}ing zing on top that makes everything sound 5% more Cocteau Twins and the high and low octaves just are not as loud. took this back real fast.

I would say if you can't get the wh-1 get the 2 and put it in a efx loop w/ a noise gate and you're 87% there.

• Members

I've had a whammy 1 forever and a day and i've actually owned all the other variations in an attemp to replace the wh-1 and get loads of money to buy something else. Here's how they stack up in my opinion..

wh-2- not that bad, actually the closest by far, and except for the unbearable pre-amp and hiss that comes w/ it is pretty good.

whammy-wah.. really nothing good to say about it, just flat out sucks

whammy 4- sounds ok until you put next to either the one of 2, then it's pretty obvious the tracking is bad(er) the sound is more like a boss pitch shifter in that there's always this {censored}ing zing on top that makes everything sound 5% more Cocteau Twins and the high and low octaves just are not as loud. took this back real fast.

I would say if you can't get the wh-1 get the 2 and put it in a efx loop w/ a noise gate and you're 87% there.

Thanks for the mini-reviews.

Does anyone know if you could bypass the WH-2 input level and install a preset level (like the WH-1)?

That would probably solve any signal-to-noise & tracking issues.

Archived