What in the HELL is this?!?!

The*Ataris

• Members

Something home-built by the look of it with a 'fretboard' that's touch-sensitive in the style of something like the Alesis AirFX. The instrument's way more interesting than the band who come over as a bit 80s (hello Sting and the Police), a bit emo and a bit 'We've listened to Kid A too much'.

• Members

At the end, that jackoff tackles the guitar player while his old Silvertone is still in his hands. What an ass!! ...risk ruining a nice old guitar just to pump up the crowd at the local bowling alley?

...assmunch...gimme that old guitar. I'll show it some respect.

• Members

At the end, that jackoff tackles the guitar player while his old Silvertone is still in his hands. What an ass!! ...risk ruining a nice old guitar just to pump up the crowd at the local bowling alley?

i think it's just a new twist on what jimi hendrix and pete townsend started, except they smash the guitarist instead of the guitar.

• Members

You guys need to quit bashing these guys, they are amazing. Nothing exceptional about the guitar playing, but as a whole, they are awesome. Production wise, their album is one of the best I've ever heard.

Not to mention that they put on one of the best live shows I have ever seen.

Ever.

And I've seen the Who.

And Sigur Ros.

And MuteMath was on par with both of them.

• Members

You guys need to quit bashing these guys, they are amazing. Nothing exceptional about the guitar playing, but as a whole, they are awesome. Production wise, their album is one of the best I've ever heard.

Not to mention that they put on one of the best live shows I have ever seen.

Ever.

And I've seen the Who.

And Sigur Ros.

And MuteMath was on par with both of them.

What the {censored}? We need to stop bashing them because they're amazing? No, that's not how it works. We'll express our opinions (and most people express their opinion as a fact, as it is fact to them), you can express yours, but don't try to tell us to change. Personally, I think Mute Math is horrible. Their version of the Transformers theme makes baby Jesus cry.

• Members

I want my 5 minutes and 40 seconds back please.

I told you exactly where to look for what I was talking about. If you watched the whole thing and didn't like it, then that's your own fault.

Also, I didn't realize mentioning this band would trigger so much hate (maybe apathy?). They have an incredible rhythm section and use a bunch of cool instruments and sounds. I thought they'd go over well here. Different crowd these days, I guess.

Admittedly, I'm not really into the vocals on their songs. I definitely enjoyed the instrumental better.

• Members

What the {censored}? We need to stop bashing them because they're amazing? No, that's not how it works. We'll express our opinions (and most people express their opinion as a fact, as it is fact to them), you can express yours, but don't try to tell us to change. Personally, I think Mute Math is horrible. Their version of the Transformers theme makes baby Jesus cry.

I'm sorry, you're right. You are 100% entitled to your opinion. I do feel a bit obligated to defend a band that I love though. I won't try and make you change, but I'll give you more evidence in support of my claim.

Okay, here's why MuteMath is amazing. They do not put on the same live show every night. I've talked to multiple members of their road crew who all said that they enjoy watching the show every single night because it is never the same. Apparently the guys just sit in their bus all day coming up with new loops on their laptops. THAT'S the way to do a show.

Their onstage energy makes most hardcore bands look like they're working out to a Jane Fonda video. The last time I saw them, their lighting rig consisted of 20 or so blinking fluorescent lights vertically placed behind them. At one point Paul, the lead singer, takes off his keytar, swings and shatters 3 of them.

See them and you'll believe.

P.S. I only have one memory of Transformers. When I was in preschool, I always tried to be line leader when we switched rooms so I could be the first to play with the Transformers action figures. If I was a Transformers purist, MuteMath fan or not, I'd probably think their cover was blasphemous too.

• Members

Sounds like they mix up a lot of different influences from the best of '90s Alt-Rock. That song was pretty good for me. I've got a cousin who saw them recently & was saying I should check them out. Reminded me a little of later Tortoise? Standards?

Anyhow, thanks for posting. :thu:

• Members

I think if radiohead had that as a b-side everyone would think it was amazing.

Its a cool song, that would make a decent title track to a movie.

I think you have to give people props for trying to do something different.

• Members

I like what they're doing but I don't get why everyone is on the drummer's nuts. He plays exactly like any 'schooled' drummer I've ever played with. Really tight rhythms but pretty basic and boring beats.

Of course, there's no accounting for taste, but I really enjoy the subtle things he adds to the groove--hihat work, ghost notes, etc. He also hits his drums with a lot of 'pop', which is something, as musicians, we can all appreciate.

Archived