what was Kim Thayil using on this board?

L6Sguy

• Members

It's almost impossible to tell, but it's definitely an Arion. Hmm...

I still need to try the Bifet.

Those Peaveys sound pretty damn sweet:

Those amp heads are Peavey VTM 120's, aka 5149's, the same head EVH used,and based the 5150 on.

Also used by Steve Morse,the guy in Whitesnake, swedish death metal band Dismember, and the guitarist in Faith No More,on the last album,can be seen in the Digging the Grave video.

Its a single channel 120W Marshall eating monster, i have one since 1998.

3 band EQ,presence, and a row of 10? i think dip switches,on the front, to turn on different stages of gain and EQ stages.

4 x 6L6 Power tubes,4 x 12ax7 preamp tubes.

Made between 1987 and 1992,there were 2 versions, only a cosmetic difference, the older ones had the dark grey control panel,the later models had a dark brown control panel.

Kim used it on Badmotorfinger, i think he switched to Mesa's after that.

Just have a listen to "Jesus Christ Pose" to hear the ferocity of this amp.

Apparently they can be had for a couple of hundred dollars in the states, well worth it.

• Members

....I still need to try the Bifet......

i've got one on loan to a buddy now, but i can send it out in a couple weeks if you wanna try. :thu: i;d like to take the vtm for a spin.

Parametric EQ..? That's what I first thought, but it really could be any of them..

yeah, the gaff tape makes it tough :mad:

• Members

i've got one on loan to a buddy now, but i can send it out in a couple weeks if you wanna try.
:thu:
i;d like to take the vtm for a spin.

That'd be great! :thu: I can send you back your PD1 too, since I don't deserve it and it's not getting much use anyway. Then again, the gf just stole this, so maybe it could fare better with that setup. It arrived with a broken speaker, though, so it's out of commission for a bit.

Hop on AIM :wave:

Archived