What pedal gets close to a 5150 gain?

Battletits

• Members

I know this about impossible to repliacte, but bear with me. I have a Fender amp, and it is not going to break up how I want it for metal obviously...I also know that I will need to buy a 5150 to get that exact sound.

That being said, I am working with a TS9 into a big muff right now...this is a great sound..there is no doubt, but it works for a less tighter sound with more beef. I would love to throw a pedal after the ts9 that can get me that nice dry, but heavy sound you get from the 5150. Something that sounds great for hardcore, thrash and death metal rhtym playing. So, I have the OD pedal, the Fuzz pedal..it is time to find a really good distortion pedal.

I firmly believe in getting your gain from the head..that is the best way to go...but what is out there in pedal land that comes close to this tight, mid focused metal sound I want?

• Members

The best metal distortion pedal I've had was the Zoom TriMetal. Tons of gain with a really useable EQ section. I think you could get the 5150 sound out of it. It's no longer in production, though, so you'd have to try ebay or the classifieds.

• Members

Metal Planet is my favorite so far. The Digitech Metal Master is ok too, but it's a bit noisier and doesn't have a gain adjustment.

Forget the Silver Dragon...it sucks arse IMO compared to the Metal Planet or alot of other options.

Archived