Bill Frisell/Greg Leisz Tone

Monkeybot

• Members

This one has been bugging me for a long time -

Anyone know how Bill Frisell gets his reverby/delay like tone? Greg Leisz has a similar tone - Seems like it's a reverb/delay combination that I just can't nail -

On the last Dave Alvin cd, GLeisz just kills me with the tones he gets on 'Sonora Death Row' - Kind of a Bill Frisell-y thing - with more, albeit subtle, distortion. I love the way it breaks - perfect -

I know that there's some distortion in there, reverb, and delay - I would love to find something that's close (I usually use a Tele/Jazzmaster through a DRRI with a DL4/Boss DD-5, Rat and TS-808 - For reverb - usually the DRRI's or a Microverb) -

Kind of a Buddy Miller/Lanois thing, too, maybe... Haunting stuff to say the least.

• Members

When I saw Frisell live, he was using some kind of Lexicon for his reverb/delay sounds, although I'm pretty sure he also had DL4 on the floor too. And if I remember right, a Rat for his distortion. I thought the Verbzilla has some sounds like his, especially the Cave setting, but I only tried it out once.

• Members

Guess it's up to me to figure it out - If it wasn't fun experimenting, I wouldn't -

I can approximate it, I think -

I dig the subtle vibrato that's in all of it (wagging the Tele) -

He and GL have my favorite tones of anyone - Perfect.

Archived