Effects advice for thin lizzy sound with Strat.

jkelter

• Members

Hi All

I play in a band doing covers such as Lizzy, ACDC, Bon Jovi, etc. I play a strat with 2 gold lace sensors and a red in the bridge.

Our durmmer comments that my guitar sounds like a chainsaw when i use distortion. I am using an old zoom 2020 as a multi effects.

Any advice for this thin lizzy type sound?:thu:

• Members

amp distortion rather than a zoom 2020. what is this, 1995?

yep. most bands of that era and before used loud ass amps as the majority of their guitar sound.

if youre using a {censored}ty amp incapable of this id start looking for tube amp sounding pedals (tons of them) and find one that works well with your amp. :)

• Members

assuming you dont want to spend a load of cash on a new amp get a marshall guvnor mk2 - dynamics are very tube like and whilst it will sound harsh next to a proper cranked marshall it should be a lot nicer than a zoom anything (other than the single pedals they did)

• Members

what amp are you using? there are a few solid state amps that have great cleans and can do rock/metal with dirt pedals (roland jc-series comes to mind), but usually that sound you hear in classic rock/rock where its smooth but articulate distortion comes from a tube amp thats already hot (lightly breaking up or breaking up well) but boosted with a pedal of some sort to push the tubes harder. lots of folks turn up thier amp so it starts to breakup, then step on a pedal. usually an overdrive pedal with the drive/distortion knob on 0 but the volume/level knob up full. this gives the amp a hotter signal and pushes it into more overdrive

its really hard to pull off that sound with a SS amp and pedals, and hard even with some tube amps at low volumes (turning them up brings out the pain!)

now there are modelers like the pods/vamps/etc that can produce great sounds for recording. when listening back they sound right at home beside miced amps. but, they dont perform so well in front of amps like single pedals do.

anyway, if you can, an amp upgrade would be first on the list if you are using a harsh SS amp. the peavey classic 30 (and classic 50) amps are great for classic rock and rock as is. they are not super hi gain, but they love pedals. alone though - perfect for thin lizzy tones. and using a pedal like i mentioned will push them into heavier rock territory.

if you cannot afford an amp upgrade (or just dont need to), the best thing may be to bring your amp to the store and start plugging in pedals. then if you find that one you seek - go home and order it for cheaper!

good luck man. i remeber my first few years playing (not saying thats whee youre at - just a story), i had a crappy amp and went through so many pedals before i realized i needed a new amp. after getting my fist good amp i was so happy. finally getting some tones i was seeking.

Archived