Pedal order and Hog questions

shadowshocker

• Members

I should be getting a Verbzilla and Flanger Hoax soon, but I'm confused where to put the Flanger Hoax. Some say phasers go before wah, but flangers go after harmonizers. Is this thing a flanger or phaser, and where should I put it?

Current order: Wah> Distortion> EQ> HOG> Delay> Reverb

Also, are there any multi-power supplies that can power the HOG. Right now, I have the DC Power Brick but it doesn't have the right adapters and I hate having pedals that have their own power supply.

Thanks

• Members

I should be getting a Verbzilla and Flanger Hoax soon, but I'm confused where to put the Flanger Hoax. Some say phasers go before wah, but flangers go after harmonizers. Is this thing a flanger or phaser, and where should I put it?

Current order: Wah> Distortion> EQ> HOG> Delay> Reverb

Also, are there any multi-power supplies that can power the HOG. Right now, I have the DC Power Brick but it doesn't have the right adapters and I hate having pedals that have their own power supply.

Thanks

That's a tough question because it can be used in many different combinations. It's nice before EQ so you can cut some of the noise in the more extreme settings. If you are flanging, you might want it after distortion and reverb to make it more pronounced. If you are using the phaser wah setting, you might want it before your distortion. If you are using a chorusy setting, it might sound nice between the HOG and Delay.

This is one of the reasons why I designed this box: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1709641

• Members

Thanks for the advice. I should mention I probably will never be using the distortion with it (if I do it would be very little, but that would probably be way in the future). So assuming I wouldn't be using the distortion and probably not the wah either at the same time with it, then is it recommended before or after the Hog? I should probably wait until I get it and try it out, but I really don't plan on switching everything around just for certain songs and will probably always keep it as is. So with that said, where is the general placement for this monster?

• Members

Flanger between dirt and verb.

Phaser between wah and dirt.

Really, either one of them can go anywhere. They do cool {censored} before and after dirt. Phaser I actually prefer after dirt, but I put it in front of my EQ, and my EQ is in front of the dirt. Clean tone with Phase>EQ is tasty.

• Members

Well you should definitely have the HOG first, otherwise your mod/wah/gain will interfere with the tracking of the HOG. Yes it tracks much better than many other pitch pedals, but distortion can really mess that up.

With the HOG, i plug it into the rear AC jack on the pedal power 2. I'm planningon getting a TimeFactor (if it ever comes out) and the will also require its own AC jack, but my buddy got himself a 3way splitter and says that there is no problem plugging in more than one wall wart there.

• Members

At the moment I keep it: DMM>Flanger Hoax>HOG>Headrush. I prefer the Hoax before the HOG because it gives the harmonies and octaves more of a watery/wavy/floating as well as a thicker depth(IMO). Sometimes I just let the DMM self-oscillate into the Hoax and put the filter on and just listen to everything interacting with each other.

• Members

Have a hog and I run it first in the chain. I have found that filters sound better behind it too. This includes wah and auto filters, phasers, etc. Mine does not respond well to a lot gain at the input. I use a lot of cable in my setup so I do run a BS2 buffer in front of the Hog.

Archived