Thinking of ditching the DL4 in favour of a Boss Space Echo and DD6

Loobster

• Members

What don't you like about the DL-4?

It's interesting to me that so many people are divided on the DL-4/DD-20/Deluxe Memory Man preference.

I thought the DL-4's strong point was the sound quality, and the low point was reliability/build quality. Hmm....

• Members

It just comes across to me as jack of all trades, master of none. When you compare it side by side to something really good it sound kinda cheesy. It totally depends on my money situation.

Last night I heard someone demoing some old Space Echoes and I just thought. WOW. I need one.

• Members

It just comes across to me as jack of all trades, master of none.

It totally depends on my money situation.

really liked this quote...summons up the what I think of DL4 as well....

...and somehow this:freak: dl4 analogy can work for my own self too...

• Members

I never cared much for the DL-4. Tried it out a few times, and always hated the knob selector interface. WTF is Tweek and Tweez anyway?

Anyhoo, the Space Echo is definitely intriguing... The combination of the space echo and a solid digital delay is a sexy combo.

• Members

Yup. It'd cover all bases. I wouldn't want 3 delays on my board, but if I did...a DM2 would be nice in addition to the space echo and DD6. A bit too much though. I'd definitely hang on to the DL4, cos it does have some good sounds, I'm just less and less thinking they're GREAT sounds.

• Members
if you can swing it financially and with your pedalboard real estate, i'd vote form the space echo and a dd20. the dd6 is a decent pedal, but if we're talking new, the dd20 really isn't that much more expensive and blows the dd6 out of the water.

Space echo and the DD-20? That's a whole lotta pedal board dedicated to delay. :eek:

• Members

It just comes across to me as jack of all trades, master of none.

+1. I'm starting to feel this way about mine as well. It's fine and good and all, but . . . I'm somehow feeling restless.

I have the expression pedal and I've had 1 preset for different lengths of slapback, 1 preset for different lengths of ambient, and 1 for the sweep echo (which I don't use enough to keep as a preset but . . .). And I'm feeling happier with the slapback or reverb just from the verbzilla. So - if I'm really only using 1 bank of tones on this . . . maybe there's something better for me?

Ian

• Members

There are two options for you DL-4 users who can't stand the volume drop

1) Have Keeley modify it. I've got the MM-4 done by him and there's no volume drop and it sounds like a dream

2) Use it in "buffered" rather than TB mode. Now I have no idea how to do this, but there's lots of talk about it, and maybe someone with better google skills than me can locate it.

• Members

if you can swing it financially and with your pedalboard real estate, i'd vote form the space echo and a dd20. the dd6 is a decent pedal, but if we're talking new, the dd20 really isn't that much more expensive and blows the dd6 out of the water.

Yeah, that's a definite possibility. Like you say, it's all about the money, baby.

• Members

That's actually exactly what I'm about to have in the next few months..

ATM I've just got a dd-6 (I bought it way back when, before I heard of exciting features and sounds such as 'tap tempo' and 'analog delay) which works well and has a nice reverse setting. However, it IS a little bright and so I was going to get the analogman hi-cut mod for it, which I've heard sounds great. Now, after being sucked into HCFX, I'm very interested in getting the re-20 and will when I sell a couple amps I have at the moment.

I'm very excited for this dual delay setup and you got me all excited when I heard you might be doing the same thing. Let me know how it goes if you decide to go through with it :thu:

And are you talking about getting an actual space echo (roland re-201, fulltone tte) or the boss re-20? I'm all about the boss re-20... gets me excited just thinking about it. :)

• Members

There is no volume drop to the DL4 if you have it on no trails (the delays trailing off when you turn it off). Now if you do have it on trails there is a volume drop. If you read the manual you can check how to change that. A lot people could save yourself money by just changing that setting instead of sending it to Keeley (which I did btw). I loved my DL4 live more than I did at home. It had more mojo. I would check out the RE20 before you decide to drop the DL4. I don't think it's worth it.

Archived