Pedal Video Demo's - How Much Interest Is There?

alteredsounds

• Members

There doesnt seem to be a good source for video clips of pedals and I know some are pretty poor. I'm doing a big update soon and wondered if there was interest in a large section of video clips that I will host and link to (youtube etc). I'm thinking of having viewers comments or a rating system for clips so you can hopefully get an idea of a clip before viewing. I will demo some vintage gear and other bits and hopefully get all the usual video peeps to let me link or host files.

Worth it? Any Interest?

• Members

Check out my YouTube clips, if they are decent enough sound wise I am up for doing demo clips of all my gear.

Just using my iSight for video, and a Sennheiser e609 direct for audio, will be doing some demo's in the next couple of days of the Screw Driver, and Tube Zone, both with a Les Paul, and a Strat and bright to dark amp settings wth clean tone first, my previous clips are just cuts out of jam sessions.

But I am down with it.

• Members
There doesnt seem to be a good source for video clips of pedals and I know some are pretty poor. I'm doing a big update soon and wondered if there was interest in a large section of video clips that I will host and link to (youtube etc). I'm thinking of having viewers comments or a rating system for clips so you can hopefully get an idea of a clip before viewing. I will demo some vintage gear and other bits and hopefully get all the usual video peeps to let me link or host files.

Worth it? Any Interest?

I am extremely interested in this! :cool: Yes it is very worth it! :thu:

• Members

Great idea.

I have often come across videos that are of very poor quality, both in terms of picture/sound quality as well as playing. By playing I dont necessarily mean its a bad player, but that the demo doesnt do justice to the effect and what it can do.

A general 1-5 star rating system would be great, or if you want to go into detailed rating you could separate it into, Video quality (Picture and sound), demo quality (Does it demonstrate the various ability of the pedal), playing etc...

• Members

i've never found youtube to be a good source for vids. I do all mine with google video and it's much cleaner. Bigger picture, sound is synched up. Less viewers overall but i really only to it for pedal junkies, so thats why i have it in my sig on every forum i'm at.

i think a site with all demos would be really cool :thu:

• Members

btw i've been doing demos for about a year and a half now. Fatback is the one who pretty much inspired me to do them. His vids are ace!!! I dont have the highest quality camera but i think it does a good job at showing what the pedals can do. A few things i HATE about the usual vids you find on youtube are:

showing the player not the pedal.
(what the hell good is it then? If you cant see the pedal and the settings your using, then you might as well just do an audio demo)

talking
(ok some talking isn't bad, but when people spend more time talking about the pedal and what it does instead of actually using it, then it's annoying. Again show a closeup shot of the pedal and maybe briefly talk about your rig then on to the pedal demo)

playing the same things over and over again
(like the people who play a few bars of a song, click the pedal on, play the same few bars, rinse and repeat for 8 friggin minutes... sooooo boring. Same thing applies to blues/rock wanking. Play a variety of stuff. I play mostly lead guitar but i try to do some normal chords, jazz voicings, complex chords, power chords, and lead stuff all in the same demo.)

using one setting
(that is NOT a demo of the pedal, just one tone that your getting and it doesn't help the consumer to get an idea of what the pedal is capable of)

so pretty much keeping the talking to a minimum, showing the actual pedal in the demo, turning the knobs, playing a variety of stuff, and also keeping is short... but not too short. You dont want to bore people. But you also dont want a 1 minute demo that shows very little....

just my $.02 :wave:

Archived