Sparkle Drive users (distortion question)

mookieunit

• Members

I use the Sparkle Drive mainly for very light to "regular strength" overdrive tones and I really like it. Now, when I play songs that go from OD to Dist I've been using the footswitch on my Hot Rod Dlx amp to engage the dist channel while keeping the Sparkle Drive on. It works ok because I like the amp's dist channel. I was wondering if anyone here uses their amp dist in conjunction with the SD or if they combine a dist pedal with the SD.

• Members
I use the Sparkle Drive mainly for very light to "regular strength" overdrive tones and I really like it. Now, when I play songs that go from OD to Dist I've been using the footswitch on my Hot Rod Dlx amp to engage the dist channel while keeping the Sparkle Drive on. It works ok because I like the amp's dist channel. I was wondering if anyone here uses their amp dist in conjunction with the SD or if they combine a dist pedal with the SD.

A lot of people use a tubescreamer type pedal in front of their amps.

I personally like hitting the preamp with a volume boost.
Gain = 0, Tone @ 3 o clock, Set to straight up clean, and the volume full up.:love:

If you haven't had your sparkledrive modded by Keeley yet......DO IT NOW!!! :love:x a lot:wave:

• Members
A lot of people use a tubescreamer type pedal in front of their amps.

I personally like hitting the preamp with a volume boost.

Gain = 0, Tone @ 3 o clock, Set to straight up clean, and the volume full up.
:love:

If you haven't had your sparkledrive modded by Keeley yet......DO IT NOW!!! :love:x a lot:wave:

From what I understand, keeley only works on the gain side. If you have the gain side at 0 on your SD and the clean all the way up, why would you get the keeley mod? Just curious. Does the mod affect the anything else? What differences are there?

• Members

Do you mean combining the SD with another OD pedal for distortion??

I do that. I use a barber direct drive or Rat for my rythm sound then run a sparkle drive after it for my leads. I set the drive at 10:00, tone 2:00, clean 10:00, and volume 2:00 (the knobs look like a W). Sometimes running an overdrive after a distortion or other overdrive can get muddy, but the sparkle drive dials in some of the other effect and it adds some volume to cut through with some added mids and compression. It's a great lead tone that's still pretty articulate.

• Members

The beauty of the SD lies in the fact that you can blend some of your clean signal in with the OD, this makes it great to combine with other dirt boxes - If you stuck a Rat after it and fiddled around with settings I'm pretty sure you would get some decent distortion tones.

• Members

I run a vox Big Ben into my Sparkle Drive and use the low gain Tube Channel on my Laney LV 300 Twin gain set at 3:00. I get a nice tube warmth with the Vox @ 12:00-3:00 and the Sparkle Drive gain backed off to 11:00 and the clean knob from 1:00-3:00 and it Sparkles! Really clean and crisp with my Strat. The benefit, to me is the combinations and varieties of tone and gain with the different OD pedals and the amp. Each has its own flavor especilly with treble settings. BUT I have to keep the SD volume low AND if I crank the gain past 12:00, there is a little tiny annoying buzz underneath it. When I use my SG, it's a whole different sound and I have to dial the Big Ben gain back to 12:00 and the SD gain @ 11:00. Sounds good but not getting tons of sustain. the Sparkle just seems to add the right shimmer and cleans up and sharpens the sound a bit - but gotta keep the gain and volume low.

• Members
From what I understand, keeley only works on the gain side. If you have the gain side at 0 on your SD and the clean all the way up, why would you get the keeley mod? Just curious. Does the mod affect the anything else? What differences are there?

Yes, I'm just stating that it also makes a good volume boost.

But the Keeley mod makes the gain side perfect.:thu:

Archived