Extremely OT: Diet advice...

• Members

Well... I guess I've been gaining a little weight, and it's starting to piss me off, so i decided to change my diet a little bit. I'm not at home very much as my band has been in the studio for 2 weeks and will be here for another 2-3 weeks. Soooo, that means I basically have to eat fast food all the time...

I've changed my diet from supersized cheeseburgers, fries, and tons of soda to Chick fil a grilled chicken sandwiches with a large side of fruit and water... been doing it for 5 days or so, and the only change i've felt is massive headaches and being tired from lack of caffiene!

I'll stick to it though, I checked dietfacts and found that the Grilled Chicken sandwich from Chickfila along with a Large fruit cup and water is like 280 calories and 5% of your fat... so I feel like this might make a pretty good difference along with staying away from soda. We're in somewhat of a bad area so running is out of the question, anything else I can do that, along with a diet change, will make a difference in the next 2 weeks?

• Members

It's funny because I just had chick-fil-a for lunch today. I love their chicken sandwiches and waffle fries. I think you're doing alright but you may wanna add some veggies to your diet and be a little more active everyday. Maybe find a food market where you can get healthier quick meals.

• Members

I was on a low carb, low fat, high protein diet and worked pretty darn good (lost around 30lbs) until I plateaued. I starting lifting weights and doing some cardio and weight started going back down again. 10 more pounds to go until my IBW and I'm starting to look kinda rip.

• Members

I've gained 30 lbs in the last 3 years. I'm back in the gym and watching my diet. What sucks is that I order in almost every night, I'm single and don't cook. I have been having sushi for dinner about 3 times a week, which has helped. I'm also trying to eat smaller portions. Instead of having 3 large meals a day, I have 6 smaller meals throughout the day. Most people think skipping a meal is going to help them lose weight, however they are doing their body a disservice. They may lose weight, however the body goes into a "famine" state as the metabolism becomes slower. The body will learn to store fat in a more resourceful ways. Once the initial weight comes back, it will be much harder to come off. My goal is not to diet to lose weight, but to eat healthy in order to increase my overall metabolism.

• Members

as a doctor...

good food and a dcecent amount of exercise..is the only way

you're still eating crap .....balanced my friend...it's not jsut about calories..you're eating super processed food..

Drink water...do a bit of exercise...and the world will be right..

I'm doing the same thing (tho I eat better)

• Members

"Diets" don't work over the long term.
Must change your pattern of eating and exercise for the long haul - like the rest of your life.
Fast food is subpar way to eat.
Most research now would recommend "good" carbs - whole grains and veggies, lean protein and good fluids, like water, always, not just for a quick "diet".
"Whites" are generally "bad" - refined grains in breads, pasta and rice and of course, sugar.
Fish is good, especially "wild caught" - avoid China farm raised, of course.
Vegetarian is an option, but must get decent plant protein somehow.

• Members

I do the body for life nutrition and exercise plan. www.bodyforlife.com if you are interested. Although I am sure you are looking for something for the time being while you are in studio.

stop and get a whole-grain turkey sandwich with no mayo and add some veggies, much better than a fast food-chicken "sandwich". here are other meal ideas.

Cliff bar (once in a while is good, once a day is almost too much - IMO)

low-fat string cheese and an apple/fruit

yogurt and cottage cheese together - sounds weird but is awesome!

tuna sandwich - healthy omega-3's and protein

really need protein or else you starve your muscles and you also will feel hungrier faster. healthy carbs give you energy right away, the protein makes you last a couple hours and then you need to eat again, like every 2-3 hours eat a Meal/snack (small portion sizes, like suggestions above)

good luck! Oh yeah, and LOTS of water!

• Members

Here's the advise I'm going to offer. Around July 1st I posted on here that I was going on a diet. With clothes, I was around 216 or so. I never really felt like I was eating worse than anyone else but I know my activity level is zero and I have a desk job. So, instead of telling myself I was going on a diet, I decided that it was simply time to start practicing portion control and eating foods that weren't so high in fat. I gave up a near morning ritual of Bacon, egg and cheese bagels (or the big breakfast) at McDonald's. I cut out the large burgers, fried foods, etc. I gave up the 60-80 oz's of diet coke everyday. Breakfast is usually and English Muffin with PB, a breakfast shake and sometimes, a banana or something. Lunch is usually something like a roast beef wrap or fish. Lunch will typically be chicken, fish, a vegetable, etc. When shopping for foods, I don't buy anything with more than 30 calories of fat and typically no more than 400-500 calories. I think I take in around 1200-1400 calories a day. My intake should be 1800 (by the way, the big breakfast is 1400 calories alone). Since July 1st, I've lost around 15-20 lbs. I'm shooting for 175. I get two more notches out of my belt and I pretty much have to wear a belt with most of my pants or they fall off. I never really feel hungry. If I do, I grab carrots, cherries, a banana, grapes, etc. The best part is that I've been able to tell myself that this ISN'T A DIET. This is a change I should have made a long time ago. As I'm losing the weight I'm finding it easier to keep this going as I really feel that I am starting to look better and others are noticing it. That's encouraging and I'm finding that I prefer being hungry sometimes over being fat.

• Members

if the caffeine withdrawal is getting to you drink green tea.not the kind you dont make yourself though,that is just tea flavored kool aid.green tea will put your metabolism on a good pace as well.

you can eat carbs,infact if you dont youre going to feel like a zombie in about two weeks.you have to eat the carbs early in the day,and then actually burn that energy off through the day.if youre "exercising" that should be easy in fact i need carbs to even have the energy to think about working out and im a 6 day a week workout type dude,which also makes me ask,why not turn the extra weight into muscle instead of trying to lose it? I usually tell dudes at the gym to not worry about cutting until after a good 8 weeks of bulking.if you have the energy(carbs) and the time,just start lifting :cool:

also ,,,grilled chicken sandwiches are great at home on a foreman grill( i sat foreman so northerly folk dont feel they have an out here),its hard to imagine a better source of protein than grilled chicken,but......thats home stuff.like the dudes said,the fast food is still fast food.bad calories and bad fat.if you GOTTA do fast food.do the subway thing or get salads,although salads arent going to help you much if youre doing things that require protein.

• Members

if i may....... plan ahead

i cut up a HUGE pot of veggies... lasts me a week. keep them in water and every night for dinner i just throw them in the steamer.

fish, chicken, steak blah blah blah... are all marinated in the fridge and just need to be cooked. a totally gourmet dinner takes like 5 min to make and is SUPER healthy. i was eating like {censored} before this. my problem was prep. i couldn't bother to eat healthy everyday. takes me an hour once a week to ready healthy {censored} now and i feel like superman. lol. :wave:

• Members
if i may....... plan ahead

i cut up a HUGE pot of veggies... lasts me a week. keep them in water and every night for dinner i just throw them in the steamer.

fish, chicken, steak blah blah blah... are all marinated in the fridge and just need to be cooked. a totally gourmet dinner takes like 5 min to make and is SUPER healthy. i was eating like {censored} before this. my problem was prep. i couldn't bother to eat healthy everyday. takes me an hour once a week to ready healthy {censored} now and i feel like superman. lol.
:wave:

Excellent advice. Also, I forgot to mention in mine.......allow yourself to cheat.

I allow myself to cheat twice a week and even then it's in moderation. For example, tonight was my cheat night. It was two slices of spinich pizza (about 1/4 pizza). That's actually still a bit healthy compared to high fat pepperoni, etc. If you allow yourself a couple of times a week to cheat, your less likely to cheat all of the time and screw up the whole deal.

Ultimately, once you get past 30 days, it's not so bad. Finding foods that are good for you that you enjoy helps a lot. Also, find sweets you enjoy that are still good for you. For example, I either make angel food cake or get shortcakes and fat free miracle whip. Tastes pretty good and it's still good for you. Plain cheesecake is also acceptable. Just remember moderation. Cheesecake every night isn't going to help. If you eat out, tell yourself prior to going in that you are only going to eat half of the meal and take the rest home.....and while I haven't yet, even if you get up every morning and do some sit ups and push ups, the effect that can have is dramatic....and never call it a diet. A diet is something you do to lose some weight. You want to make a lifestyle change. That change will result in a lose of weight.

Man, I sound like Oprah. :D

• Members

Let me explain something to you: what you are eating is {censored}. If you want to lose weight, make a lunch and bring it with you. Even those meals that claim to be healthy at fast food restaurants aren't.

Even those couple of meals at subway are probably better, but getting a footlong meatball sandwhich or covering a deli one in mayo doesn't count.

Also, excercise. I know you said you were in a bad neighborhood, but if someone's chasing you, then it's a lot easier to run. :D You could always try diet pills or speed or crank or whatever. That'll make you want to exercise. See Requiem for a Dream for further planning around this idea. :D

But seriously, you just need to get off your ass and do something. I'm real {censored}ing lazy, and if I could take my own advice and cut down on my pop I'd probably be in awesome shape, but I'm {censored}ing lazy. I thought about getting one of those norditrack things, but I'd probably never use it, so it'd probably be a waste of moolah. I used to take the stairs all the time which helped me lose a lot of weight, too, but it's hard to go up them when the elevator's right there.

Archived