Overdrive With No Overdrive! What!!! ?

Chris_Flight

• Members

New to electric guitars. I am seeking an overdirive that I can sense rather than hear (I know - 'take up religion or alchohol'). Seriously, I cannot stand buzz, fuzz, fizz or the sound of wasps in a jar. I like power valve distortion and not pre amp. To my ears, the best tones are the ones that make a guitar sound rich. If an effect like this exists I would be very happy to hear about it. Thanks

• Members

thd hotplate, marshall power brake, etc...

Yep, if you want authemtic power tube od then get a power sink... Or, alternatively, a really nice smooth OD pedal that fattens up your tone!

Urinate_forever : You'll never get some heavy gain power tube OD out of a fender, they just arn't made for it. The volume "is" the drive control, the master just backs this down to an acceptable level.

• Members

Great natural overdriven tones are like working on your car... if you change the carb and nothing else it is doubtful that much about performance will change. If however you do several improvements at once... synergy! Tone is the same. The best overdriven tone (to my ears) comes from a little breakup from the guitar signal, and a little from the pre/post tubes and a little from the speakers. Every component should be working hard any layering the signal. Imagine what it sounds like to run a high gain pedal in front of a clean amp at low volume. It is hard to achieve good tone because of the incongruence of the signals IMO.

• Members

You'd smoke the tubes in the small amp very quickly. Tube amps do not work like that.

they do if you use a palmer pdi-09 junction between the slave's amp and speakers and run the signal to the second amp through the instrument inputs (ideally you would soak the first amp so no sound would be heard through it). I do it with a couple of smaller amps into big loud amps and it works great. Hassle if you don't the stuff but great if you have all the gear already.

Archived